IGNORED

Creativity in bleeding your brakes

FozzyUSN

After being shown the proper way, and the proper point, of bleeding the brakes at Freebird's Maintenance Day, I finally got over to Harbor Freight and picked up a hand operated vacuum bleeder and a large can of Dot 3 & 4 brake fluid.

The front brake was a breeze and was finished in about 20 minutes. The rear on the other hand was a bit more interesting. I looked at several (and I do mean several) stores trying to find a funnel with a flexible tube that would fit in the fill hole of the resevoir. NO LUCK! I finally picked up a turkey baster and pulled the rubber bulb off the end and the tip fit in the hole perfectly. A little bending of small stuff (tying string for you land lubbers) and the turkey baster remained in place as well as giving me a sight glass. The rest of the bleeding went fairly well and I now have clean fluid in my brake lines.

The next bleeding will be of the clutch and shouldn't be too much problem. Most people may think this kind of silly, but I remind you all that I'm about as mechanically inclined as a left handed chimp without his trainer, this is why I teach electronics. I forget the gentleman's name that helped me out at Freebird's, but THANK YOU very much. I learned something!