Yesterday a group of us did what turned out to be a marathon day ride. 350 miles thru Lake Tahoe and the California Sierras. I started Saturday at 0730hrs and finally parked the scoot at 2000hrs. I didn't have a chance to check mpg until tanking up in Tahoe. Between Tahoe and traveling some of the crookedest roads in the US.. I put on a lot of agressive riding...my chicken strips are gone.. Lots of 2nd,3rd, 4th gears. Rarely got into 5th. R's between 3K and 6K. I traveled 153 miles and used 2.8 gallons. 50+ MPG!! The only thing I can figure is it must be the something in the air. The last time I got 50+ was VWIII in Susanville and the Sierras. Most of the time running on the slab at 70 I average around 38-39. Go figure???

Jack

I live in Reno and spend a fair amount of time riding in the Sierras...I ride with a few other fellows and all of us have different brand bikes( Gold Wing, BMW 1200, BMW R100, Harley, Kawasaki 1400 and my Yamaha 1300)....The one thing we all have in common is we all get great mileage in those Sierra Mountain twisties so I've concluded that the slow low speed is the reason....

Jack

I live in Reno and spend a fair amount of time riding in the Sierras...I ride with a few other fellows and all of us have different brand bikes( Gold Wing, BMW 1200, BMW R100, Harley, Kawasaki 1400 and my Yamaha 1300)....The one thing we all have in common is we all get great mileage in those Sierra Mountain twisties so I've concluded that the slow low speed is the reason....

Must be Bob. I would have thought running at high RPMs, pulling steep grades, powering out of turns, would have taken it's toll on the MPG, but it doesn't.. Looks like I'll have to take a few more rides up there this summer to conserve on gas. Just doing my thing to support lower gas usage....:whistling:

--- GREMLINS !!! ----

The bike was so happy to go for a ride, it did you a favor !!!

Could be George?? Gotta pat her on the fanny every once in a while to keep her happy....:rotf:

Must be Bob. I would have thought running at high RPMs, pulling steep grades, powering out of turns, would have taken it's toll on the MPG, but it doesn't.. Looks like I'll have to take a few more rides up there this summer to conserve on gas. Just doing my thing to support lower gas usage....:whistling:

Don't forget that you're pulling steep grades at about 45mph then you're going to go down those grades as well with very little throttle.....Overall I have to agree that I and my riding friends have been surprised from time to time by the increased gas mileage......