IGNORED

Broken radiator cowling tab

I was washing my 05 and saw that the radiator cowling did not meet properly with the other one. Upon closer inspection I found that the tab was broken on the bottom, (right side).

I have never had this cowling off. Is this something that needs to come off if you service the air filter? I have let the shop do the servicing since I got the bike.

The bike was serviced last week, (June 11), and I sure did not see this when I washed and inspected the bike just prior to that.

They checked the valves and did a full service on the bike, so was thinking they may have taken it off.

Was going to ask them about it, but decided to ask here first, then go to them if it looks like it was their fault.

Dennis, from Montana temporarily in New Mexico

"Shouldn't really matter it's under warranty make them fix it."

I agree, somewhat. If it's like mine they would have to replace the whole cowling. I don't thing it can be repaired. I did not examine mine throughly but I believe it's all made together in two halves meeting in the middle. The little tabs where they join are molded with the main piece. I just zipped-tied mine together. Then again mine is out of warranty and I did not have much choice. :2cents:

Thanks guys. I will have them replace it as it is under warranty yet. I see they scratched the top of the left one also, so they might as well get a set.

Now that is the way to clean the bugs off it, just replace it!! lol

Dennis

I agree to have them replace it under warranty. But just an FYI - the ABS plastic is quite easy to repair. I found one of those mounting tabs busted off on my 07 while on the road a couple of months ago. I just took plumbing solvent for gluing ABS pipe together and glopped it all over the broken parts of the tab and stuck it back together and let it sit overnight. That plumbing solvent actually melts the plastic, so it is performing a "weld" and making the two pieces one again instead of just gluing then together. If the pieces fit together correctly, fixing them with the plumbing solvent/glue should be every bit as good as new. Just make sure it is the one marked specifically for ABS (the multi-purpose one for all three types - PVC, CPVC, and ABS - works too. It is also good to pre-treat the broken pieces with purple primer solvent. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks Goose for the repair info. I have plenty of the plumbing junk as I do remodels and maintenance for a living. I just figured that this stuff could not be properly repaired.

But, alas, the piece is somewhere between Columbia Falls Montana and Farmington New Mexico on a 1300 mile route. (Did not ride the most direct route, what's the fun in that?).

Dennis

When I found the tab broken on my 07, the piece was still stuck in the rubber grommet - just had to push it out from the back. When you use the solvent on pieces like this, you cannot try to put it into use as fast as you can plastic pipe - Since there is no friction fit between the pieces to hold them together, you need to let the solvent completely evaporate and the plastic get totally hard. That is why I said I let mine sit overnight before I put it back on.

Goose

Goose, I just looked again, but there is nothing in the grommet either.

I am glad you responded tho. Thanks for the great info on repairing this plastic. I hope I never have to use it, but I guess I am not to old to learn something new..

Dennis