IGNORED

Fuel Pump, bad

GeorgeS

About 2 years ago, I installed a used fuel pump I bought on E-Bay.

It worked just fine, so I left it installed on the 89. Was at about 47K at the time.

So: Today, after carrying the original around in the Bags as a spare, I decided to

re-install the original pump. ( Just to make sure it was working )

Wa La !!! Fuse Blew !!! It don't work. Opened it up, Pressure Switch OK, Pump section OK ( the bottom part ) . But found Low Resistance thru the Main Coil. About 1.3 ohms. The good one reads about 2.5 ohms ????

Totally at a loss to explain this, as the darn thing was working just fine 2 years ago when I removed it, and wrapped it up in a bag to carry as a spare.

???

GREMLINS. Must be due to condensation if nothing else:confused24:. Some things in life sure make you wonder. The only thing I've been carring around "just in case" is a TCI unit. Filled up the connections with lube and taped them up watertight. I tried it last month and its still working:fingers-crossed-emo. The best thing yet to carry around is the venturerider help list. Heres hoping I never have to use it. Hate bothering people{except on here} but sometimes it can't be helped.:D

George...

the suction valve is free to move?

I opened up the unit, the Piston is Free to move up and down, The Valves are not plugged.

I Cleaned the contacts on the Switch, Ohmed out the Switch connections, They are OK.

I have the Entire Pump circuit powered thru a Seperate New Fuse.

As soon ( immediatly ) upon plugging it in, the Fuse Blows.

( other pump works just fine )

So, it appears as if the Magnetic coil that pulls the Plunger " UP " is shorted out. ???

I guess my big question here, is WHY , was the bike running OK, when I removed the pump 2 years ago ??

I was wondering yesterday, is it possible for these things to Run, by " Siphon " feeding if the pump fails. ?? Or, maby with the Tank Nearly full, the fuel would be " High " enough to " Gravity Feed " untill the fuel in the tank was below the level of the Carburators. ???? Hmmmm.

OK, So, IF, that were true, and your Pump Fails, then presumably you could be driveing around with a Bad Pump, and not be aware of this untill you lost the

" Siphon" feed If you burned the fuel down to low in the tank ???

I know, this is all Nonsence, and Speculation, but things like this bother me---

Oh well, I got a new spare pump on E-Bay yesterday,

I would be surprised if it would flow thru the pump.....the valves are spring loaded are they not? If they could syphon, you'd have to shut the fuel petcock off on them like a normal tank feed system when engine was off.