I would like to conduct an experiment on a fairing, but I don't want to damage mine, so if somebody has a damaged one (both inner and outer) that I can have for the price of shipping, I would like to receive it.

Regrettably this would probably come off a wrecked bike.

Edited by KiteSquid

Look at a HD Ultra Classic or at Kuryakyn Dragon Wings

They have/are Variable Air Deflectors for the lower part of the fairing.... open em up on hot days and close em on wet or cold days...

here is a click-able photo of the Kuryaken Dragon Wings

http://www.kuryakyn.com/graphics/products/popup/12303_kur_1117_tt_h_pu.jpg

So the project would be: What would it take to make either our deflectors adjustable or removable without splitting the fairing? Adjustable would be better, as you could do it going down the road, but probably a lot harder to execute as our deflectors have a rounded cutout on the inboard side to go around the fork tubes and would probably involve vacuum forming or injection molding of parts. Removal would require stopping the bike and removing some screws or pins to remove the current deflectors that are modified to come on/off easily while still maintaining the structural rigidity of the fairing. Removing them would also leave an open slot on the bottom of the fairing for water and dirt to get into and insects to enter when the bike is stopped.

BTW I wrote Kuryakyn an e mail about this and they said they were not going to make them for our bikes.

So, is it an idea worth the R&D or not, like Kuryakyn thinks....

I have actually thought of that exact idea. I think some R&D would be worth it. Also thought of the idea of adding the air vents that HD has for their lowers, the ones that are in the lowers that you can open and close (like the air conditioning vents in a car) to let air through. It sure does get hot around your feet during these 98+ degree days we are having down here in NC this past week or so. Good luck and I hope you find a good way to make this happen.

TheKid

Sounds like a idea. I have Air Wings and they really bring in the cool air. And they actually make it a little warmer in the cool weather. I still have mixed feelings on how they look. If we could get similar results with a cleaner look that would be great!

Also thought of the idea of adding the air vents that HD has for their lowers, the ones that are in the lowers that you can open and close (like the air conditioning vents in a car) to let air through.

YUP it would be good too!!!!

Who has a Honda Valkyrie Interstate????? How did they do operator cooling on that bike????

I hate to say it, but I also might want to go look at some BMWs....

To bad Yamaha did not locate the radiator's heated air output behind the seats.... and to make it adjustable as it is NICE to get the heat on a cold day!!!!!