IGNORED

Helping a coworker

mackepnw

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I really came seeking some advice (I'm a filthy tw owner myself) and just wanted to get a rough idea of what I was getting myself into.

I have an employee that has been an awesome support system for me, and a very good friend for some time now. Several years ago he was riding his venture across his friend's property and a tree branch hit just the right spot on the oil filter to snap the part that it threads into on the crank case. I'm considering coordinating the "borrowing" 😁 of his bike with his wife as a thank you and replacing the lower shell myself since he doesn't have the time to do it, but how big of a project would I be volunteering for? Surely it's not just pull the engine and replace the case half, but ballpark estimate, 10 hour job? 30? 

For reference, it's the upper section of the circular part on the right, totally snapped and won't hold any oil.

spacer.png

Thank you everyone, from myself and Paul, even though he doesn't know it yet.

Wow .....

Not a question that I'd ever expect to be asked.    

I don't rightly know what it'd take, but for someone to give an accurate answer, it may help to know if it's a first gen or second gen.   I dunno if the bottom ends are the same or not.

I think the first gens MKI were made from 83 to sometime in 84 or 85,   First gen MKII from 85 to 93, then second gen from 99 or so until 2013.

It's an 88, so that would put it in the MKII territory, and I thought about having it welded, but that would still likely require removal and reinstallation, so I figured at that point I might as well replace instead of repair.

I'll follow up on the welding option and call a few shops, see if anyone feels brave enough to try welding it while it's still assembled. It's in a well-hidden area so it only has to keep the oil in, it doesn't have to look pretty lol

He definitely loves his bike, and really wants to ride, but I don't think he's in a situation financially to purchase another. Shame I can't just flip it over and replace the cover.