I'm in the process of changing to the Flanders bars. Last night I took the faring, windshield, seat and gas tank off. I plan on taking everything off the old bars tonight. I have new grips and cables. I have never replaced the grips, bars or cables on a bike before and am looking for advice inspiration and insight. There is a good procedure on another site, but it talks about drilling holes in the flanders bars, and I keep thinking what holes.

Any advise or help is appreciated.

Hi Everette,

I have installed a couple of sets of G2 bars and about to do another.

There is a hole on the right side that locates and keeps the throttle box from turning. It's about a 3/16" hole and easy to figure out. First you need to decide if you want to keep the bar weights or not. If you do, you will need to get some threaded bushings and weld them into the ends of the bars. I made some, using metric nuts. I turned them down to fit inside the bars and drilled a 1/4" hole through the side of the bar and welded the nuts in place.

If you don't plan on keeping the bar weights then you need to install the right grip first and then the throttle box to figure out where to drill the locating hole. Install the left grip last so you can match it up to the right side.

For the cables. When you open the cover where the cruise control cable hooks up, be careful you don't loose the spring in there and pay attention how it's located. Attach a strong string to the end of each cable and pull the old cables out. Attach the new cable to the string and pull it through with the string. Or you could use some electric tape and attach the new cable to the old one and pull the new cable through as you pull out the old one.

If you are coming to maintenance day I'd be happy to help you out with this project. You would need to have the threaded bushing welded into the bars ahead of time though as I don't bring my lathe or welder with me.

Edited by Gary N.

Thanks Gary, this is just the info I was looking for. I actually am putting the Kuryakyn ISO grips on the new bars and bought the Barons weights. We will see how it goes. I plan to take plastic and wrap the front fender. I'm really concerned about getting brake fluid on everything. I noticed on the brake cable that it has rubber tubing on the outside where it goes thru the faring. Did you keep the tubing or just run the new cables. Thanks for the info and if you think of anything else let me know.

I wish I could go to the maintenance day, but we already had plans. Next year I intend to be there.

Very nice write up but copy it quick. There has been a long standing agreement that we cant post tech or Items directly from the other site due to an agreement between Don and the powers that be over there and they cant do the same. I can tell by the sig on the pictures. If the original author posts on both that is fine. It is also ok if a member used that tech to do the job but takes new pics and does a new write up. This will probably only be up here for a short time.