IGNORED

Carb modification.

Baldphil

20230610_114239.thumb.jpg.41c38eead0cad85aa91d55f9420a7804.jpgI have an '83 that I purchased a couple years ago. It wasn't in the best of shape but I always wanted one of the first yamaha dressers.  after nearly 3 years, I'm finally getting it to run well. Carbs were a mess when I got it: leaked, not synced, clogged. Worked and worked but could never get them right. $600 for a professional cleaning and the guy said they would still need to be fiddled with a lot. I finally said screw it and ordered a carb modification kit from Germany. Now using a single pict 34 carb from a Volkswagen.  Wow! What a difference! Runs like a dream, with the added benefit of electric choke and fuel shut- off. Just took it on a 700 mile weekend run and averaged 45.9 mpg! I know there are some naysayers and purists that will disagree with doing it, but I've never been happier with this bike!

On 6/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, Marcarl said:

Super! Maybe you could give us the particulars on the setup and where you found it all.

Got it through ebay. Manifold and carb together. Fairly easy setup. Picked up some heavy duty clamps. The originals won't work. Also got a small chrome air breather with an outlet for the crankcase breather hose. Connect the choke and fuel shut-off to the accessories screw. I connected the ground to one off the float bowl screws. The carb has 3 vacuum outlets. Connect one of the bottom ones to the the vacuum advance. Then I just looped the other bottom one the the one on top. Notice that I set the accelerator pump screw up 2 notches from the bottom. Once it was all hooked up, I watched a Volkswagen beetle YouTube video on how to set the carb screws. Only need the pull throttle cable. Hopefully the pic will show how I connected the cable. I zip-tied the choke and return cable up out of the way. Such a joy to go out, give the throttle a twist and here the choke engage

20230611_191810.jpg

20230611_190852.jpg

20230611_190840.jpg

20230611_190751.jpg

• Like 1