IGNORED

Ride-On,Fix-A-Flat,Slime,etc.

FROG MAN

Called up my local dealer about slow leak in tire. He says the product they carry is for off road motorcycles only. Recommended using 1/2 can of Fix-A-Flat. I don't think so I heard it is not recommended for motorcycles. Is there anything over the counter locally that is comparable to ride-on? It's $50 to buy a 3 bottle kit on line direct. Do you want it this week add an extra $15 for express shipping.I don't know anything about the Slime product.I'm tempted to order the ride-on but I need it ASAP.

any idea where the leak is? If its in the tire, I'd repair the tire. It could just be as simple as a new valve stem or new valve core.

In a pinch, I'd use Slime over Fix-a-flat, but either one will only seal in the tread area.

I carry a can of fix a flat. My thinking is for emergency/temporary use until I get home and pull the tire. I would think the reason that it is not recommended for motorcycles is because people tend to fix the flat and forget about it. Same as with ride on. You could be running around with all kinds of stuff sticking in your tires and not know about it. When we are riding 2up on the freeway @70 and a semi passes I don't like to be thinking about what might be going on inside my tires! Just my 2 cents. :2cents:

I wouldnt use the slime..I think it says ,or I have heard it will corrode the wheel..I ordered ride on anfd got in in about 4 days. Tom (I use slime in my zero turn mower and YES it works..)

I would take a wrench to the valve stem and check that area first. I found mine to be seeping air. Then a week later I found the tire flat. I jacked it up and filled up a plastic pan with water and set the rear tire down into it. little bubbles verrrrry small were coming out at the edge were the tire and rim seal. I used ride-on and air leak is gone. I think of it as cheep insurance against flats at 70mph but I do agree you need to look at those tires every time you clean them. (www's get wash a lot!) That plastic pan I got at home depot. it is used to mix cement

Gerald I got some Motorcycle specific fix a flat at Wally world at one of the stores that sells helmets and such it is nothing more than a glue type substance and yes it worked but it took a little to get it off the rim when I replaced the tire.You could try that as it did not hurt the rim.Just make sure if you take the wheel to a shop later to let them know that it is in the tire for the safety of the mechanic.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

I have been battling a slow leak in my front tire, since I replaced the tire several months ago. I discovered that air was leaking out of the base of the valve stem. I took it to a local shop and they replaced the valve stem and put it back together. They told me the inside of the rim was pitted because of the tire sealer I was using. I have used ride-on for several years. The repaired tire stayed good for about a week and flat again. I managed to get it to my regular shop in PA. I watched the tech break the tire down and then the fun of scraping out this white funky stuff from the inside of the rim. It appeared that it had fused itself to the rim. He tried washing the stuff off but it didn't work. He ended up using a wire brush wheel. The Tech was able to clean it good enough to hold air. I know people get a bit testy when you badmouth Ride-On, I just know what the inside looked like after a few years of having the stuff in there. You just have to decide for yourself to use it, or not. To have a sense of security the it will keep your tire inflated, or knowing that you might have to replace the wheel the next tire change. joe