IGNORED

Why is this a problem?

jrcain32

I ordered a new rear tire from Dennis Kirk and it will be here today. My problem is I can not find anyone to mount it. Since I did not purchase it from them they will not mount it. They claim "insurance" reason. I can understand their un-willingness to an extent. All it would take is a "release of liability" signed by me that I would gladly do. They want to charge you $30+ more for the tire on top of the $40+ for mounting. I guess my only option is to buy my own tire changing machine. It would pay for itself in no time...

I've heard others report the same thing. I think it's sour grapes on their part because you didn't buy from them. I don't suppose you can do anything about it though. I would certainly mount my own in that case.

There is a Honda dealer close to me that never says a word about where I buy the tires. They charge $25.00 a tire if I bring the wheels and tires in. Fair enough I think.

DON'T REMEMBER HIS NAME BUT HE HAS A SIGN OUT FRONT OF THE SHOP WITH HIS CELL # HE CLOSED THE SHOP BUT STILL DOES TIRES ON THE SIDE. HE IS THINKING OF SELLING HIS CHANGER ALSO "NICE CHANGER" IF YOU REALY WANT TO BUY ONE THEN YOU COULD CHANGE MINE TOO.:whistling:

I went by after work and got his number. He has not returned my call.

I was talking to some guys at work and we decided if we can not find someone to change our tires we will all go in and buy a changer. Harbor Frieght has one that requires a motorcycle adapter. Changer and adapter is about $100.

I was real disappointed with 29Dreams. I have been a paying member for years and they would not even consider doing it. They did my V-Star a few years ago...

I'm not thrilled with the HF tire changer. I put my homemade one on top of it and only use the bead breaker portion.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html is the design I based mine on. Before I had the HF changer I used a portapower to the ceiling joists to break beads.

Major difference with mine is I split some fuel line to cover the edge of the car rim rather than using duct tape.

Being stubborn, cheap and having an endless supply of curiosity has created the curse of "I always work on my own stuff" for me.. Having been riding now for 49 years has taught me a few things about swapping out bike tires..

I always start with a clean wheel, either put it on the slab and let the sun heat it for a few hours or, if I am in a hurry I heat it up with my torpedo heater.. I do alot of "dumper diving" and aquired a SOLID steal piece of steal that is 1 inch in diameter and 5' long - any old ATV axle would work great for this. I took my torch and heated up one end and beat a four in wide - slightly curved end on the steal rod..

WIth the air out of the heated tire I will take a pair of C clamps )8 inchers) and clamp the tire just above the wheel edge and tighten the clamps as hard as I can - I leave enough room between the clamps that my bar and fit.. I then squirt penetrating oil in the area between the clamps. I use a 10 pound sledge on the end of the steal bar with the 4 inch end against therubber bead BUT not into the edge of the rim.. Normally I can have it released within 4 wacks.. I watch the bead carefully and when I can see that it is close to releasing I will remove the clamps and flip them over and do the other side and fully release the bead on that and then go back and finish the first side..

I dont allow anyone else to do my tires.. I like to inspect my rim condition and KNOW what I am riding on.. After cleaning up the rim - getting all the oil off I prepare it for mounting.. I thouroughly examine the edges that seal the tire for any flaws or marks from the spoons I use.. Oh,, something about the spoons..

I have several sets of spoons from MANY years of racing dirtbikes and crossing this country many time and changing tires on the road.. I personally like the longer spoons - 14" min.. I always grind the tips of my spoons to get a real good finish onthem.. I then hit them with emery cloth to get the best result.. When dealing with aluminum or ANY rim that is tubeless I cut two inch wide strips from old oil jugs and put the strips between the spoon and the rim - WORKS GREAT!!

For balancing I just find a place that will support the axel and give clearence for the tire.. You can do it on the some bikes in place on the frame but not all.. I even balanced a repair job in the desert one time with a cactus holding the wheel while my bike laid onits side..

Never - NEVER use an oil based product when reinstalling your tires.. Use water with a little dish soap maybe but never oil!!! I have found that sweat from the top of my head seems to be one the best lubricants to use in a pinch....

'Puc