I thought I had an extra vent tube that goes from the air box down to that heat exchanger that looks like a big twinky and sits in the valley between the front and back cylindar bank. Anyone have an extra one laying around that I could buy? Thanks.

And thanks for lookin', but I'm going to order one from the local YAmaha dealer. They're not all that expensive.....Duh!!

Edited by Condor

Condor,

The 84 I work on has ONE large tube from the back of the airbox straight to the "twinkie" and the hole at the bottom front of the airbox just has a line running down the frame like a drain. On my 86, the big rear line goes down to a "T" connector that has a line heading out for the bottom front of the airbox. Is this like your "newer" first gen bikes?

Condor,

The 84 I work on has ONE large tube from the back of the airbox straight to the "twinkie" and the hole at the bottom front of the airbox just has a line running down the frame like a drain. On my 86, the big rear line goes down to a "T" connector that has a line heading out for the bottom front of the airbox. Is this like your "newer" first gen bikes?

The 84/86 and the '87 1300 carb sets have the 'T', but on the '83 the tube goes right to the twinky. Not sure about a straight '84 1200, but if your's is like my '83 it sounds about right...??

My 84 has the straight pipe to the twinkie,,,, just to let you know, they forgot to measure the distance correctly,,, when I mounted the pipe to the airbox and set it in place all snugged down (the airbox), the NEW FACTORY pipe was about an inch too short!! Had to lower it on the airbox and then stretch it to fit the twinkie.

Dan

My 84 has the straight pipe to the twinkie,,,, just to let you know, they forgot to measure the distance correctly,,, when I mounted the pipe to the airbox and set it in place all snugged down (the airbox), the NEW FACTORY pipe was about an inch too short!! Had to lower it on the airbox and then stretch it to fit the twinkie.

Dan

The parts schematics show two different part numbers. A longer breather pipe #90445-116-00 for the 1200's, and #47G-11166-00 for the shorter 86-93's with the 'T'. The dealer might have ordered the wrong year??

Once again, the fiche at Flatout is wrong. I checked last night and from 83-7, they list the 47g # as being the right part for it. It's a Yamaha factory parts list, which one are you looking at? They may have the right thermostat gasket listed, too. Should have an 01 after the part number.

The parts schematics show two different part numbers. A longer breather pipe #90445-116-00 for the 1200's, and #47G-11166-00 for the shorter 86-93's with the 'T'. The dealer might have ordered the wrong year??

The T is in the Tech Bulletin instructions, I have changed mine last year. The smaller line with filter coming out of the left front of the airbox gets cut & connects into the T as well.

See attached PDF.

Once again, the fiche at Flatout is wrong. I checked last night and from 83-7, they list the 47g # as being the right part for it. It's a Yamaha factory parts list, which one are you looking at? They may have the right thermostat gasket listed, too. Should have an 01 after the part number.

I used the list on South Seattle Yamaha's website. Kinda tricky as the 83-85 part number is shown on the air filter page, and the 86-87 shows up on the radiator hose schematic... I don't think the parts engine is any different than any of the others available on yamaha websites??.....