Probably a simple question, but when I put the new front brake pads in the caliper they barely will squeeze in there. There is NO way the rotor is going to fit in between those new pads. So, how do I get the pistons to retract into the calipers?

I know I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I just can't think right now.

Thanks for thinking for me...

I don't know alot about motorcycle capliers but if they are set up the same way as car brake capliers then take a c clamp and the old pad and tighten the c clamp until the piston is level with the caplier.

Disconnect the caliper, not the brake line, the caliper use a channel lock and slowly squeeze it in. I would use something between the caliper and channel lock a rag maybe to prevent scratching the caliper or chipping the piston.

had the same problem. Solved by taking a peice of wood a little thicker than the Disk and tapering it slightly then tapping it between the new pads to spread them .. slipping the caliper on the disc and sliding the stick out. worked!

Metzler 880............$170.00

EBC brake pads........$32.95

2 1/2 inch c-clamp.....$4.29

venturerider.org.........PRICELESS

The local yamaha dealer told me it would be $90-$100 for labor to mount new tire and change the brakes. Now that I know what to do it really isn't all that difficult. The c-clamp worked just fine retracting the pistons back into the calipers.

Now I guess I'll have to go out for a test ride for the next couple hours. Hmmm, north, south, east or west...I hate having to make such difficult decisions.

I though that the C clamp method was pretty standard till I did some work on a VW. VW aren't content with using ordinary brake pistons, theirs have to be retracted with a special VW tool that both pushes, like the C clamp AND rotates the piston at the same time. Gotta love those V dubs!

Brian H.

I though that the C clamp method was pretty standard till I did some work on a VW. VW aren't content with using ordinary brake pistons, theirs have to be retracted with a special VW tool that both pushes, like the C clamp AND rotates the piston at the same time. Gotta love those V dubs!

Brian H.

I had a vehicle who's caliper worked the same way. I can't remember if it was the BMW or the Supra. Probably the Beemer as it is Germain, the same as the VW.

Dick