IGNORED

J&M headset installation

I knew this was going to be a pain in the ass! I just got my new J&M headsets, and of course, I"ve got the full face helmets that they say "present their own set of challenges." Has anyone put these in their full face helmets that may know how in the heck you get the styrofoam out to cut the necessary holes. I've got a Z1R and my wife's got an HJC. Thanks guys.

That styrofoam is glued in, and you should not try to take it out and put it back in. when I put my J&M headsets in my 3/4 helmet, I used a good sharp knife and trimmed it till the speakers fit, and then cut back the foam where it cause the liner to lay on my ears tight.

If you have to drill through the helmet, just drill through the foam too, but don't take it out and glue back in, the glue if not the EXACT right stuff will ruin the shell, and you may not know it till your head hits a concrete curb!

Take your time and it will go OK.

I bought the Yamaha brand for full face HJC Helmet. It also said in the directions to cut holes, but you did not have to. The ear pieces should fit right behind the foam where your ear is. The mic should clamp right on the bottom of your helmets. I did not cut anything. Good luck and just take your time. It is not all that bad.:cool10:

I put Yamaha headsets in our HJC CL-14 full face helmets a while back. No glue involved on that model. Got the styrofoam out and cut the holes, replaced everything just fine. It did take some time, and I remember some grumbling, but it got done. Can't say about the Z1R. If you've got the CL-14 and need help getting it apart, I can look mine over and remember better what I did. Good luck!

I got the HJC, the styrofoam wasn't glued in, and was able to get it all out and back in with just a little coaxing. Nothing broke and all seems to work great. The only problem is that it's my wife's helmet. :Laugh: However, my Z1R is definately glued in, so I guess I'll just be cutting it out while in place. Thanks for the input guys.