IGNORED

Venture Cruise does not engage

Guest kimrpaige

Don't know if you have fixed this problem yet, but will relate my cure. On my 89 Venture, all lights would come on etc but would not set the cruise. Problem turned out to be the cancel switch. Once pushed it would not return back out to its original position. I had to put my fingernail under it and pry outward. A little contact cleaner and worked the switch a bit and it now cancels OK. However, it is something I check frequently now. Best of luck.

Actually the bushing problem is pretty common...and the same bushing is used from 83 right thru the new 08's. You have to give the bushing a fingertip dab of grease periodically or else it will wear out fast.

Good point...Thanks, I'll add that to my routine maintenance...

I also have heard that the wiring in the cancel switch sometimes gets pinched in the switch housing (right side) coming from the factory...this will eventually wear through and short out....

Guest kimrpaige

OK!!!! I got it working, Thanks to all!!! The problem was with the rear brake switch, I had 12V going in and out of the switch and with the brake depressed the 12V went away like it should. I lost the 12V somewhere between the rear brake switch and front brake switch. I ran another wire from the rear switch to the front and all is well and the cruise now works!!!! Thanks again, Kim

Last year I had the same problem on my 85. After tearing fairing completely off, checking vacume lines, etc., I decided to do without it when my son noticed I didn't have a brake light when using front lever alone. Turned out the was a bad wire from the factory that had finally short the switch out. Bypassed cancel part of switch and that corrected problem.

• 11 months later...

The turn signals are on a speed sensitive cancel or time delay cancel or both? Mine cancel after a certain amount of time, but speed doesn't seem to affect them. Maybe this is my cruise problem? By the way - 86 Venture Royale - 49K miles

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Spyder,

The auto cancel functions off a combination of time and distance travelled. Cancellation happens after both of the following conditions have been met:

1) On for at least 10 seconds

2) Some distance travelled (maybe 150 feet, not sure).

Pretty sure the sensor for distance is in the speedo assy.

Jeremy