IGNORED

Wet Weather Riding

Guest Dareman

Guest Dareman

Several of us are leaving for a long tour from Southern, Az up through Yellowstone and further North in the Montana area. We are leaving on Saturday May 24 and will be up in that area sometime after May 26.

Weather forecast indicates rain and maybe lots of it.

I am fairly new to the RSV. I have an 06 RSMV and one of the guys going with has a 05 RSMV.

How do these scoots hold up in riding in the rain?

We don't want any surprizes.

I rode a 99 SE 1500 Goldwing up in that area last year and got poured on. The wing came through with flying colors I am assuming the Venture's will do the same.

Another guy is riding the new Victory Vision.

If youre coming up into Montana anyway, you might as well get into Glacier Park and take the Going to the Sun highway if it is open.

I dont know how the snow pack was last winter and whether their spring was warm enough to melt it all yet, but it is defeinitely worth making a detour to check it out. Its a slow tour at altitiude and views youll love.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I dont know about your bike in the rain, but my 85 1st gen is great in rain.,but i usually move the radio/cassette into the trunk and put the filler panel in to be on the safe side with those old electronics.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

I hate riding in the rain but with that said I just slow a bit and keep my windshield wiped down with anything that will half way repel the water. If you are not use to the brakes PRACTICE PRACTICE ,some complain of the back brake being easy to lock up but I never had that problem as I use my front brake for probably 70 % of my stopping power. I have Avons on my bike and haveNEVER slippped in the rain,they hold very well and I have gotten in a hurry a few times in the rain..I know DUMB but I was outrunning an even worse hail storm. Snow one time in AZ but just wet snow and all was OK.

They are just fine in the rain.

of course, check your tire tread over the entire tire!!!!! front and rear!!!! before the trip!!!!

Also check the tire pressures!!!!!!

Dress for the weather and you will get cold quicker, so plan for more stops to get hot beverages!!!! Drink plety of water to offset the dehydration effects of caffene if you drink it!

8 extra ounces of water to evey 90mg of caffene (one 6 oz cup of coffee.)

As far as grip: it's all about tire model, tire condition and tire pressure. Don't leave on any trip with under-inflated bald-worn-out Bridgestones. I've ridden through four inches of water flowing quickly across the highway, with fully inflated Avon tyres in good condition, did some praying, and had no trouble at all.

Rear brake: I never had a problem either. Recently some riders here said that they use the rear brake by lifting the entire right foot and putting it on the brake pedal, instead of leaving the heel on the floor board and just using the toes. If you use your whole foot, with the weight of your whole leg over it, then you might lock the rear brake. Don't do that.

Windshield: the RSV comes stock with a tall, upright (not leaning back very much) windshield that collects rain drops. The rain just sits there, and the air flow makes even more drops hang on the inside of the shield. It's hard to see through that. Do something about it if you expect a lot of rain -- shorter shield (some have cut theirs) slippery coating (some like Rain-X and some say that it ruins the stock shield) or a different shield that leans back more (ClearView shield helps). I can stand up in the saddle a see over my shield, but don't want to do that all day.

About yourself: Use rain gear over your clothing. The RSV gives very good weather protection, but you will get wet if you are out in it for a long ride.

As far as grip: it's all about tire model, tire condition and tire pressure. Don't leave on any trip with under-inflated bald-worn-out Bridgestones. I've ridden through four inches of water flowing quickly across the highway, with fully inflated Avon tyres in good condition, did some praying, and had no trouble at all.

Rear brake: I never had a problem either. Recently some riders here said that they use the rear brake by lifting the entire right foot and putting it on the brake pedal, instead of leaving the heel on the floor board and just using the toes. If you use your whole foot, with the weight of your whole leg over it, then you might lock the rear brake. Don't do that.

Windshield: the RSV comes stock with a tall, upright (not leaning back very much) windshield that collects rain drops. The rain just sits there, and the air flow makes even more drops hang on the inside of the shield. It's hard to see through that. Do something about it if you expect a lot of rain -- shorter shield (some have cut theirs) slippery coating (some like Rain-X and some say that it ruins the stock shield) or a different shield that leans back more (ClearView shield helps). I can stand up in the saddle a see over my shield, but don't want to do that all day.

About yourself: Use rain gear over your clothing. The RSV gives very good weather protection, but you will get wet if you are out in it for a long ride.

:sign yeah that:

I don't like looking through a windshield on a motorcycle. Sure it keeps you from getting beat’n up buy the wind but as conditions worsen so does the visibility. The way I look at it is that driving in the rain has enough challenges without having to worry about being able to see where you’re going (and yes, I use Pexus on my windshield & riding glasses). Last fall I drove four hours on the highway, in traffic, steady rain with overcast and dark skies. Night came early on account of the weather and even though I was well dressed and everything was running fine the challenge was visibility. The biggest problem was the dirty road spray collecting on the inside of my windshield and the glair caused by lights. I’ve since cut 4 ½ inches off my stock shield and can now see the road over the shield from about 25ft in front of the bike. I can deal with the water on my face in other ways. Whatever you do ride safe.

Guest Dareman

I really appreciate the information.

I was concerned about electrical issues, but from reading things it appears that is not an issue.

I have ridden in lots and lots of rain across many states. I have the clothing.

All have been on a Goldwing. This will be the first time on an RSMV.

We plan on stopping about every 100 miles for hydration / fuel.

I did a T-CLOCK Inspection Sunday and will do another late Friday before

"Kick Stands Up" on Saturday the 24 of May.

All on the ride have several long cross country trips under their belt.

I have new tires.

45psi rear, 40psi front.

Brakes are in good shape 90% both on front and rear.

(I use the brakes sparingly) mostly get off throttle early and down shift to slow my speed.

I replaced the OEM Tall Windshield with the Show Chrome 14". Windshield is Coated with

a Coat of Rain Magic and Plexus. I also put the Baron 1 1/2 Risers on the Scoot.

Diamond R SOMA Lights are on the rear along with the Diamond R Lightbar for extra lighting on the rear end.

I believe the bike is in as good as shape as it can possibly be.

We are really hoping the Ride to the Sun Highway is open.

If not we will probably head East to the Dakota's and the Badlands.

We will camping out the entire way. (KOA using Tents)

Every indication is this is going to be a FUN RIDE!

You say you have new tires, but did not mention the brand. If you have Brickstones, you probably are not gonna be a happy person. Even with new tread, they don't seem to hold well on even dry pavement.

I ride year round in any weather, and I have ridden in a lot of very nasty storms on the Venture (solid rain all the way from Texas to the Great Smokey Mountains last year the week after Thanksgiving), and this bike does wonderfully in those conditions with any decent tires. Ride safe,

Goose

Guest Dareman

Post Script.......

Avon Venom on rear.

Dunlop OEM Brand on Front.

The front was replaced last week.

The Dealer did not have any Avon for the front in stock and had to order it.

Would not have been here in time. Sooooo I put a Dunlop on the front.

From the information I have read in the Forum, Mixing tire brands did not seem to be an issue.

Any issues there??????

I am fairly new to the RSV. I have an 06 RSMV and one of the guys going with has a 05 RSMV.

How do these scoots hold up in riding in the rain?

We don't want any surprizes.

If you want to know how the RSV handles in the rain, just ask anyone who went on the Natchez Trace ride. RAIN, RAIN ALL DAY ON FRIDAY. These bikes handle great, but seeing through the windshield is another problem. As long as I could see WolfMan*1 taillights I was good to go.:dancefool:

I have Avons on my RSV and do not like the wet road handling of them and almost dumped in FL on a wet road just touching the rear brake.. It didn't just lock up in a controllable skid... It locked up and started sliding sideways.

As soon as these Avons are worn out I'll be going back to Dunlop 404s... They might not give the mileage of the Avons but they handle better and stick better.

Guest BluesLover

Just finished a 3 day trip (about 2,000 kms), half of which was done in the rain. Also did the run to Moonshine in April - about 1,100 miles return - and 75% of it was in the rain.

For me, the biggest issue was seeing through the stock windshield. As much as I love it and the better half loves it because we don't get all the wind buffeting, it becomes an issue in the rain.

As for the tires, I run an Avon on the rear and a Metzeler on the front and I had no handling issues - we were doing quite a few twisties this past weekend.

Last year, I ran an Avon on the rear and a Dunlop on the front and also had no issues with handling in the rain.

The Bridgestones for the first season ... well, enough said on that topic already.

Cheers,

Same with me Blueslover..Ive been in quite a bit of rain on my Avons and MAYBE a little too fast in the rain but never slipped,AT ALL. Now ANY tire is gonna slip if the slightest bit of diesel , gas on the road..The only time I have ever slipped was crossing a low water crossing,(we have alot of those in this area and for whoever comes and rides here WATCH OUT for the green algae), But as far as Rain never.