IGNORED

Shifting problem

Paul

Hey everyone I have a question. I pulled the bike out yesterday (87 Venture) as I hadnt had it out in 2 weeks. I washed it and then went for a little scoot. When I rolled it out of the garage I had a little trouble hitting neutral to fire it up. It was stiff and hard and and just kept going from first to second without hitting neutral. Finally found neutral and down the road I go. The gears were stiff and hard to shift, almost like the clutch wasnt in all the way. Had a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd and then to 4th, almost had to do it a few times to get into the other gears. Downshifting was the same thing had to shift pretty hard and a few times to get it to want to downshift. The bike ran fine other than that and when it was out last 2 weeks ago it was perfect, and I did nothing to it other than wash it before I went for a ride yesterday. It was dark when I got home so I didnt even look at it I just pulled it in the garage and and parked it (the penguin game was on). I figured I would look at it today. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know where I should look first?

Thanks,

Paul

Sounds like a problem I had coming up from Florida.

At first, no problems, then went through a lot of rain and eventually started having problems with getting her in gear (real hard and almost had to stomp down to shift). Noticed that my clutch fluid was showing a dirty color but didn't think anything of it. Stopped for gas just north of Richmond and the clutch wouldn't work at all. Push started it and rode to DC and they changed the fluid and bled it. Worked fine after that.

The fluid for the brakes and clutch absorbs water rather easily but you wouldn't think it would be a problem in a closed system. My rain and your washing?

Maybe somebody else has the answer though.

Paul the linkage could be the problem or the engine oil is in need of a change.Try it again to see if it is better if so its moisture in the engine oil from most likely humidity. As for having a hard time getting it into nuetral try goosing the throttle while shifting for nuetral that helps most of the time..

Jeff

I looked at the bike yesterday and found that the linkage is a little loose and needs adjusted and also my master cylindar is a little low. I am going to play around with it today and get theings straightened out, and will let you guys know how I make out.

Paul

Ok I changed the brake fluid and I started the bike and it wanted to pull with the clutch in. So I blead the clutch and it feels nice and now the clutch seems fine and holds the bike while in gear and running. But the problem with it shifting very hard in and out of gears still remains to the point of stomping it up or down several times to get it to change gears. I adjusted the linkage and everything seems fine there, so now I am scratching my head???

What do you think?

Paul

Im running synthetic and I just changed it about a month ago. I am thinking that I still may have a little air in the clutch line. I am going to take it off at the master cylindar and try to get it out that way if there is any air in it at all I figured it would or could be easier trying to get it out there than trying to force it down and out the bleeder. We'll see anyway I figured its worth a shot.

All you will do that way is to introduce more air into the system. Have you checked the bushing thru the left side cover that the shifter goes thru? Might try to force somegrease in there, or just remove the linkage and clean it, put a dab of grease on the shaft and reinstall it. Might help, might not. Unfortunately if this doesn't work, you'll have to pull the clutch cover and the clutch housing off to look at the shift cam and pawls to see if something is going on there. Could be a shift cam pin coming out or something like that. Just thinking.............

Dan

PS buy a speed bleeder to put in there and make it easier to bleed

Im running synthetic and I just changed it about a month ago. I am thinking that I still may have a little air in the clutch line. I am going to take it off at the master cylindar and try to get it out that way if there is any air in it at all I figured it would or could be easier trying to get it out there than trying to force it down and out the bleeder. We'll see anyway I figured its worth a shot.

You shouldn't have a Bow in the Line, which creates a Form of an Elbow. It should go pretty much in straight upward Direction.

Use a Wire or a Wire Strap and pull the Lever fully to the Handlebar over Night. The Air will rise in the Line and get out when you release the Lever the next Morning. If you feel this didn't cut it, redo the Procedure. It doesn't work if you have only one or two Hours under Pressure, but it will work over night.