IGNORED

no 4-way flashers with trailer

kj4v

Craig and I hooked up the wiring for my new piggybacker on a 2002 midnight 2nd GEN. and everything worked right but the 4 way flashers. we used a 5-wire to a 4-wire hookup. I did hook the ground directly to the battery and not the ground wire to blinkers and taillight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? If so would you email me what it would take to fix the problem.

kj4v@bellsouth.net ......Ken

I pull a trailor also. I assume that due to a weak charging system that the flashers draw too much voltage to allow the flashing mechanism to engage. I think that it takes quite a bit of voltage to operate. I'm just guessing. If you find out otherwise please post it.

ps I'm thinking that the extra draw on the system by the running lights on the trailor creates this situation. I need to make that clear.:confused24: 4-12-07: I just updated all my trailor lights to led's As I suspected the reduced elec. load and walah the 4 way flashers work like a charm and the turn signals don't sound like they have a load on them anymore. Don't need the isolator others have proposed any more. My main purpose for changing to led's was to free up the weak charging system on the 2nd gen vr and a 70% red. in electricity can't hurt. The led's are brighter and maintenance free. I was constantly having to wiggle or adjust bulbs to keep them lit.

Craig and I hooked up the wiring for my new piggybacker on a 2002 midnight 2nd GEN. and everything worked right but the 4 way flashers. we used a 5-wire to a 4-wire hookup. I did hook the ground directly to the battery and not the ground wire to blinkers and taillight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? If so would you email me what it would take to fix the problem.

kj4v@bellsouth.net ......Ken

Hey Craig! Whaddya do with my trailer!!!:rotf: :)

Better hurry up - less than 5 months left till we hit the road, buddy.:cool10:

I'm peddlin' as fast I can.....:) :) With Mama having knee replacement surgery last week, my time is really spoken for. I was planning on getting the '87 up and running for the trip, but it looks like I'll be riding old reliable....

Had same problem when adding xtra turn signals and lights flasher can not take xtra load had to use a isolator. Jest added trailer to my bike used a 5 to 4 trailer wireing adaptor gets its power strait from battery that way the bike wireing only operates relays in isolator