IGNORED

Valve adj @ 90,000

DMW

Just finished doing valve adjustment on my 2003 RSV. A friend came up with tool and advice for shims, he rides vintage Honda and told me I could get shims for a Honda a lot cheaper.

He put me onto this site,( https://www.z1enterprises.com/engine-parts/shims.htmlt), $4.83 each.

This was the 1st time needed to do adj. A little info, all the intakes were out of tolerance by almost the same amount, the exhaust were all in tolerance with only one at lowest end, so did that one also.

As always reading info on this site helped a lot.

Just finished doing valve adjustment on my 2003 RSV. A friend came up with tool and advice for shims, he rides vintage Honda and told me I could get shims for a Honda a lot cheaper.

He put me onto this site,( https://www.z1enterprises.com/engine-parts/shims.htmlt), $4.83 each.

This was the 1st time needed to do adj. A little info, all the intakes were out of tolerance by almost the same amount, the exhaust were all in tolerance with only one at lowest end, so did that one also.

As always reading info on this site helped a lot.

Adjusted the valves on my 09 with just under 40k miles a couple months or so back and pretty much same as yours. All the intakes were just out of tolerance on the low end and only 1 cylinder w/exhaust out of tolerance and it was by a fair margin.

That was my first crack at adjusting RSV valves and it was much of a learning experience on valve cover removals and using the tool.

Just adjusted my valves on my 2008 @ 23,700 miles. All the valves were out of spec except for 4 of them. 2 of those 4 were right at the minumum. Both #3 and #4 cylinder intake valves were way below limit at #3 @ 6mm & #4 @ 9mm. The bike had several in between size shims in it like 282's, 278's etc. Of the 4 that were in limits, 2 were just above the minimum so I was able to replace those shims with some "in betweener sizes" to to get them either mid to higher end of the limits.

"Randyr'' sent me the sizes I needed to do the job, including "in betweeners" along with a few extra sizes after I sent him the list. A big kudos to him! Now all the valves are measuring in the mid to higher limits, with most towards the higher limits, so I should be good to go for a while.

A little curious though if others had a wide range of, or as many "out of limit" measurements on their 1st valve adjust. Most were slightly under the minimums while a few were considerably under the minimums. I measured each valve 4 different times before I sent my list to "Randyr" and they never changed. I also measured them twice after swapping shims before I buttoned it up. In my mind which is a scary place, I am justifying this by thinking that maybe the valve seats needed to settle in from manufacturing? Some more than others?

"DMW" Nice link for shims. Got it bookmarked for the future for that "just in case".

I just did mine on the 07 at 45000 miles. None were out of spec but several were just above minimum. Gotta thank Skydoc for the use of the shim kit and tool and Mega2500 for sending me two shims I needed to finish. Now all are near the max spec so should be good for many more miles.

Just a little more info, I had replaced the valve cover gaskets in the pass without removing the carbs. This time I removed the carbs, made it a lot easier to do job.

I did have to remove a couple of parts I reinstalled, due to woops can't put this on. One was removing the dog bones again to get the chrome covers back on.

Memory not as good as use to be.

Just a little more info, I had replaced the valve cover gaskets in the pass without removing the carbs. This time I removed the carbs, made it a lot easier to do job.

I did have to remove a couple of parts I reinstalled, due to woops can't put this on. One was removing the dog bones again to get the chrome covers back on.

Memory not as good as use to be.

Mine was torn down longer than I planned and memory was a little fuzzy. I too took off carbs but I didn't have to take parts back off, didn't forget to hook up throttle cables before seating carbs, or have a small leak from not installing the water hose clamp. I also have several tracts of ocean front property for sale if anybody is interested. :bang head::bang head::bang head: That's my story and I'm sticking to it. On a good note it fired right up after reassembly.