IGNORED

Ashville NC. Ride

captnmidnight

I am gonna be going to asheville nc. area for a few days and would like to know of any special places that I should see when my wife and I are there on the RSV. We plan on seeing lake lure and chimney rock and also jumpin on the blue ridge prkwy.for a ride.Speaking of the blue ridge,I understand that some of it is closed for construction. Does anyone know where that is? And how do u get on it? I read somewhere that there is no entrance or exit ramps to or from any interstate hwy. We can go north or south on it,,makes no difference. Any other points of interest that yall think we should see? Fun things? pretty things? unique things? nice places to eat? we aren't makin any plans and are just gonna stop wherever and whenever we want. Thx for any input.:confused24:

Was researching BRP the other day as I plan to take that home from the Ashville rally in August. I have posted below a blurb about the closed section. It starts in Ashville and runs north. Also I posted two links I have been looking at.

Enjoy!!!

(Asheville, NC)-The 51.6-mile section of the Blue Ridge Parkway between US Route 70 East at Milepost (MP) 382.5 in Asheville and NC Route 226 at Milepost 330.9 at Gillespie Gap will be temporarily detoured due to a retaining wall failure at MP 364.6. This detour will be in effect from November 16, 2007 until corrective actions are completed.

http://www.virtualblueridge.com/

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Guest Boomerbiker

The Blue Ridge - my favorite ride. Just got back a couple of weeks ago. Four days, 1860 miles. Of course this time of year they're doing maintenance for the summer rush, so we were bounced off three times, but riding is riding, so I'm okay with it. Best place to check closures is the park website which I think others have directed you to. After this trip, I decided the Roanoke to Waynesboro stretch on the parkway is about my favorite. Then it's west on 250 to 33. Makes me want to go again, but the next trip in June is going to be Glacier. First time out west and I'm pretty excited about it.

Boomer

• 2 months later...
Guest GARY844

The wife and took the bike down there a couple of years ago. Went to this spot east of Ashville to a Gem Mine at Spruce Mountain. Had a lot of fun, found four nice rubies and other assorted gems. That trip paid for itself.

Gary844

We're planning on hitting one of the gem mines as well. We'll be going to one around Franklin. There's lots of em up there.

There's a really nice little place to stay off the BRP called Parkview Lodge & Cabins. There on hwy 221 milepost 317 the phone number is 828-765-4787. It's run by a really nice family, and they have breakfast in the morning.

Margaret

I am gonna be going to asheville nc. area for a few days and would like to know of any special places that I should see when my wife and I are there on the RSV. We plan on seeing lake lure and chimney rock and also jumpin on the blue ridge prkwy.for a ride.Speaking of the blue ridge,I understand that some of it is closed for construction. Does anyone know where that is? And how do u get on it? I read somewhere that there is no entrance or exit ramps to or from any interstate hwy. We can go north or south on it,,makes no difference. Any other points of interest that yall think we should see? Fun things? pretty things? unique things? nice places to eat? we aren't makin any plans and are just gonna stop wherever and whenever we want. Thx for any input.:confused24:

Don't know the route you plan to take to Asheville but my suggestion would be to take 9,just outside your back door all the way to Black Mountain.Then 40 east to OldFort and 70 toward Marion.After leaving Old Fort on 70 go nine miles to a traffic light.Left on 80 will take you to the BRP lotsa twisties on that road.Get to parkway you can go to MT Mitchell,great ride,or north to highway 226A toward Marion lots more twisties,then you come to 226 turn left to Spruce Pine .At the parkway entrance is a nice gem musem and half mile on left is gem panning.Get back on parkway north to 221 go south to Linville Caverns,a must see,or you can continue on the parkway to Grandfather Mountain,also a must see.221 south will take you back to Marion and Interstate 40.I f you are in the Marion area give me a call and maybe we can meet up.After 4 though.Some of us have to work. Just my suggestion for rides in the area.