IGNORED

odd index numbers on parts fich

Index numbers( those numbers that identify a part n a"illustrated parts break down" or "exploded" view are numbers that refer you to a part in a list. Recently I ran into Index numbers like this: 5.38, WTF!? well the first number is an index number as so is the second in 5.38. So you would look at part 5 and then 38 because they go together....

Try this for part numbers, I've never run into your problem (yet)

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/#/l/yam/50042475f8700209bc787e25/1983-xvz12tk-parts

Well here you go: Take a look at this page and you'll see what I'm talking about; it's how Yamaha indexes the fork assembly parts. These Yamaha fiches (at least for the Ventures) are all the same; the vendors we buy our parts from use them. There are many, many sites that use these same pages. Thanks!

I think what you're seeing is not "5.38", but "5 bullet point 38", or "part index numbers 5 and 38", which is how the parts diagrams handle left and right parts that are the same part number. If you look at the fork diagram you'll see that the index numbers that are paired like this correspond to the same part number. For instance, the spring in the fork diagram is labeled as 11 dot 47, if you look up the index numbers 11 and 47, you'll see the same part number. The double numbers just tell you that there's one of that part number on each side.

I think what you're seeing is not "5.38", but "5 bullet point 38", or "part index numbers 5 and 38", which is how the parts diagrams handle left and right parts that are the same part number. If you look at the fork diagram you'll see that the index numbers that are paired like this correspond to the same part number. For instance, the spring in the fork diagram is labeled as 11 dot 47, if you look up the index numbers 11 and 47, you'll see the same part number. The double numbers just tell you that there's one of that part number on each side.

When speaking to the local Yamaha Dealer Parts department they said that index number goes with the index number on the right side of the decimal. I just don't get why they even bother with that dot and the 2 index numbers, it just causes confusion, but looking at it you must be right. I talked to the local stealer yesterday and mentioned this, I got it screwed up some how, thanks for putting it so simply!

When speaking to the local Yamaha Dealer Parts department they said that index number goes with the index number on the right side of the decimal. I just don't get why they even bother with that dot and the 2 index numbers, it just causes confusion, but looking at it you must be right. I talked to the local stealer yesterday and mentioned this, I got it screwed up some how, thanks for putting it so simply!

Glad I could help. You're right about all the parts sites using the same factory diagrams, sometimes they can get confusing because they themselves are abridged versions of larger indexes used by the manufacturer, thus the reason for the double index numbers. And not every manufacturer uses the same system. It can be confusing. I used to know what each group of numbers meant in the part numbers, like breaking down a VIN but forgot that a long time ago. We would all be happy geniuses if we could only choose what we forgot ...