IGNORED

Passing Lights On & my Speedo goes Blankvb

Hey Guys,

Been a long time. Hope you are all well. I'm having an issue someone may be able to help with.

When I switch on my passing lights on my 06 RSTD my Speedo goes blank. i turn the switch back off and after 15 - 20 minutes the Speedo comes back on.

My passing lights were added by the dealer when I bought the bike.

Other than that it runs fine....

Thanks for thinking about it.

Coop

Well this is a long shot but I suppose worth mentioning. I'm not sure where your switch for the passing lamps is located but on the Venture, it is on the inside of the fairing. There have been numerous cases where the wires going to the switch get pinched in the notch on the triple tree. If your wires are routed similar and past the triple tree, trace it out and make sure that the insulation hasn't been pinched on rubbed through on the wires. Now that USUALLY results in a blown fuse but if it is just chafed a little, maybe it is just getting a partial ground and causing your issues.

Well this is a long shot but I suppose worth mentioning. I'm not sure where your switch for the passing lamps is located but on the Venture, it is on the inside of the fairing. There have been numerous cases where the wires going to the switch get pinched in the notch on the triple tree. If your wires are routed similar and past the triple tree, trace it out and make sure that the insulation hasn't been pinched on rubbed through on the wires. Now that USUALLY results in a blown fuse but if it is just chafed a little, maybe it is just getting a partial ground and causing your issues.

Thanks for the reply Freebird. I'll have to trace the wires. My switch is located right in the chrome seal beam bucket. It's odd caused I'm not blowing the fuse. I remember that when I first installed my commander (computer) when I hit that switch it would make the main fuse blow. The computer has been installed since 2007 or so without any issues so I doubt it is that but guess it could be.

I'll check back in when I find it.......

Coop

So they worked fine before and this problem just started? Don't forget to check the simple stuff like the battery cables, tight at both ends, etc. May also be chafing on the passing light harness where it passes through the bar mount where the PL and turn signal mount. Possibly a loose or bad ground. I don't recall how they ground the PL, but may be finding ground through the display. I think some of the wiring is done inside the headlight bucket on the RSTD.