IGNORED

Gear indicator switch O ring

Like a lot of us, I'm going to work on the oil leak behind the middle gear cover. I believe that mine is the shift shaft seal causing this but while I'm in there I think I'd like to change the O ring on the gear indicator switch. The trouble is, I've been staring at the parts sheets for quite a while and I can't find the switch anywhere. Does anybody have any idea where the switch is pictured? Is the O ring in the same place? I could just reach in my Oring kit and pick the best match, but since I've got a parts order going in it'd be easy to buy the correct part.

I know that most of the time this oil leak is caused by the stator wiring, but in my case it isn't. I've got a middle gear cover that I've cut away the un-needed portion and when I install it, I can see the wiring isn't causing the leak.

Frank

This is what it looks like

shiftswback.jpg

And here is where it is....below the slave cylinder. Move the stator wires out of the way (lift them up) and you will see the switch. Be careful...don't tighten down those screws. It is a special O ring...orange(?) in color

slaveand switch.jpg

Part #

8 41R-82540-01-00 NEUTRAL SWITCH ASS’’Y . . . 1

9 93210-29196-00 O-RING . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1

Can be found on the parts diagram for the 89....

Electrical 2 section

page 11 parts 8 & 9.

Please let us know what you find....I still haven't found my leak yet...if you want to read my journey here is the link of what I've done so far...with pictures...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?134041-1St-Gen-That-pesky-tiny-oil-leak

Edited by videoarizona
add info

Thanks for the info....I saw that yesterday, but when I saw it was called "neutral switch asy" in my pea size brain I 'assumed' that it was the switch for the green neutral light. I should have realized that because the bikes only have one gear cam that it could only have one switch for the light and the gear indicator. duhhhhh.

I will let you know what I accomplish. I intend on putting it back together with the chopped middle gear cover installed and leave it on until I get the leak cured.

I think I remember that you've got a parts bike or two. I'll send a picture later on what I did to the cover so I could see a few things better.