IGNORED

Dowel Pin(s)?

Getting ready to put the cases back together after the 2nd gear repair. I am a little confused on the number of dowel pins to align the two cases. I wasn't very careful during the tear down to make a note of how many there are. The service manual says "dowel pins" with an S indicating more than one. The parts book only shows the one located near the driveshaft, see pic. Can anyone confirm whether there is just the one, or are there more than one?

rsz_img_0863.jpg

In looking at this parts diagram: https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042d31f8700209bc789f05/crankcase

and noting Parts, 2, 3, 4 and 5 I would concur that only 1 dowel is used for alignment purpose and that would be part ref = "5" just as shown in your pic.. Take note though = Personally, I would want to be perfectly clear as to what exactly parts 2, 3 and 4 do though as it appears that even though they are marked as "nozzels" they may serve dual purpose such as alignment and oil flow area (just guessing).. I would absolutely know what those parts numbers/parts jobs are and make sure that those parts are also in place before I snapped er back together if I were doing it.. Another thing that you can do is pull the dowel (#5) from the bottom case halve and just see if it will fit any other holes that look like they have been reamed to dowel size - if it does, maybe look around on the floor and along the edge of the top half and see if you find em.. You are wise in asking about this IMHO. I have rebuilt more than one motor (Honda singles were known for this) that had been previously rebuilt and had a dowel missing (or, even missing o-rings around a dowel that served as a oil flow = creating a VERY smokey freshly rebuilt motor).. DEFINITELY wise to double, even triple check the work before finishing the job IMHO...

I looked into this a little closer this evening. All of the nozzles are accounted for where they should be. Here is a pic of one of the nozzles. To me they look more like an orifice. They are definitely part of the oiling system.

rsz_2img_0866.jpg

I also checked for other possible locations for another dowel pin, there are three. As suggested I took the dowel pin and checked to see if it would fit in any of the other locations. It did not fit, and by looking at the opening and comparing it to the one with the dowel you could tell it was not finished to accept a pin. The last thing I noticed was the 8 bolts that are closest to the crankshaft have a machined spiral or flute type surface that fits very snug in the case. I believe these are used to make sure the alignment is where it needs to be for the crankshaft. Here is the pic.

rsz_1img_0865.jpg

Finally the online parts store always tells you how many you need to order and it only says one. So I am 100% sure now there is only one needed. Thanks for the input, it certainly helps to get others opinions on what to look for.