IGNORED

dunlop 404's

chocking

I really like the D 404s and have gone through 4 or 5 sets... right now I have the Avon Venoms with the smaller size up front on my RSV because of everything I've read about them... It doesn't look like I'm gonna get any more mileage out of the Avons and I think the smaller size front tire benefits are way overrated and don't feel real confident in the rain with the Avons.

I will be going back to the D404s when the Avons wear out and I don't consider them to be a "bargain" or "cheap" tire just because they cost less than some of the tires they out perform.

I've used and abused D404s ... two up, overloaded, pulling a 300 lb.trailer running 80 - 90 MPH in the TX and FL heat and they have never given me a problem... They are an inexpensive tire compaired to some but they ain't cheap.

It's always been my thinking that new motorcycles always come with the cheapest tires the manufacturer can put on....ie....more profit. With this in mind you must realize that most if not all RSV's came with either Bridgestones or Dunlop 404s. Mine came with the 404s. After changing to Avons, I can see why they (Avons) cost more. The difference is night and day. I will NEVER go back to the 404s.

I have the original 404s on my RSV. Just turned 10,000 miles as I got home from work. I do not ride aggressively and expect ot get another 4000 to 5000 miles out of the rear tire. No unusual wear and they seem just fine.

On my VStar 650, the rear 404 lasted about 8200 miles, the front is still original at 9200 miles. I replaced the rear with another 404 to keep them matched and the price was right.

From what I have read here about tires, it really sounds like Dunlop has quality control issues.

This is probably about the tenth time I've put this story on. The quality tire they had lasted about about 20 years until they stopped making it. With my 1st gen., I was getting 20k out of the rear tire, a 404. I sold it and bought a 99-RSV. I got 21k out of the first rear tire, and the most I ever got was out of the 3rd 404 I bought which was 24k. That's when they decided to stop making such a good lasting tire, and that was the 150-90B15. That number was switched to 150-9015, and I only got 8,000 miles out of that tire, needless to say, I was mad as a hornet. They found out the gas companies were making a lot of money, so they decided to follow suit and make a softer rubber tire, so I have to buy a new tire every 8 months now, instead of every two years. (Guess what), they seem to find one of the 150-90B15 tires in the archives the last time I ordered a tire, and the hard rubber tire hasn't shown any wear at almost 6,000 miles. I guess this will be the last time I get my moneys worth out of a D404 tire that wears. Expensive tires and gas don't mix, I wanted to keep using the B tire in order to save :mo money:, but Dunlop had other ideas. :crying:

Hello, folks! New member - LONG time rider (40 years).

Chocking asked about the 404s on an 83 VR. I have had 5 or 6 of the 1st gen Ventures and I ride like a hooligan. I can tell you, for sure, that the best tire I ever had on my Ventures was the Metzeler 880. It was a phenomenal tire - great handling in dry or wet, excellent braking, quiet, smooth, and fairly long-lasting. I'm not claiming that I got 15k miles out of them, but then I ride MUCH harder than your average bear! :whistling:

Put some 880s on that VR along with Progressive springs, a SuperBrace, and a frame brace and you have the makings of a seriously good-handling touring bike. I know I stuffed a lot of sporty-bike boys with that big pig...

-RW-

Rooster, your front tire IS a rear tire!!! MR Motorcycles screwed up that one!! The D404 front has a different tread pattern than the rear, the one in your pic is definitely a rear only tire!! BTW... I have D404's WWW's and love them, both the handling and wear has been very good.

With 24000 miles on my front,rear,tire most of those miles in the mountains of NC and pulling a trailer and now a sidecar.My question is,is there a problem running a rear tire on the front?Mine has never had a problem,handles great and appears to have several thousand miles more left on it.I am no tire expert but any input would be greatly appreciated.

With 24000 miles on my front,rear,tire most of those miles in the mountains of NC and pulling a trailer and now a sidecar.My question is,is there a problem running a rear tire on the front?Mine has never had a problem,handles great and appears to have several thousand miles more left on it.I am no tire expert but any input would be greatly appreciated.

With the sidecar, I see no problem with a running a rear tire up front. Supposedly, rear tires are harder then front tires. The front tires are softer for better turning. I don't believe it.

Also, you NEED to run a car tire on the back of your bike with your sidecar.:stirthepot:

I don't claim to be a tire expert, but tire tread is designed accordingly for a front tire vs. a rear. I would think handling is a huge part of thread design. Personally I would say, if you've done 24,000 mile on it without problems don't worry about. Just out of curiosity maybe drop Dunlop an email and ask them what's the differences between a front and rear.

Guest Popeye

I've known many who've run 404s. They are softer & some prefer the extra grip, but softer doesn't last as long.

I've ran the 491 EIIs & loved them.

Now I use E3s & they are great.

I constantly hear good about the Avon Venoms.

I'm beginning to hear good things about the Mic Commanders.

Many of the other brands seem to have too much negative feedback, for me to trust.

Tires are the LAST place to skimp. I toss mine around 50% & only get the good ones + brake pads. Tire tread is an important part of braking.