IGNORED

Fuel Pump replacement...and best carb clean "how to"

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not going anywhere today, had a tooth pulled. Lucky I can do this through the clouds in my brain.

What is in Joplin?

Lol I am south of there and they just got a place called 5 guys burgers.. I was told the have good food...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I didnt realize you were so close. Heck yeah, I will come up that way once I think I have the carbs dialed in a little better.

5 guys burgers are good.

Yeah even told ya at one time you were by some bandies lol haven't been to Oklahoma for a while...

I got my CarbTune today.....now, to figure out how to use it. HAHAHA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?258-Syncronizing-the-Carbs

A great writeup, it's on a 2nd gen but same procedure. The right (iirc) has two screws and left has one, right between the carbs and nice and obvious. Get a big common screwdriver and watch the bars as you turn the screws. I'm OCD so I go back and fourth making micro adjustments until it's as close to perfect as I can get it. The second time you have to do this it will be a lot quicker.

Do this at operating temp and definitely let us know how far out it was and how much improvement you see when it's dialed in.

No, I was serious....the hahaha was....maybe I should know what it was I was buying and how to use it before I dropped $130 on it.

I had a tooth pulled Wednesday that had some serious complications, so I am not sure I will get to the garage today....but hopefully by tomorrow I can get to work on it.

Yah! Follow the procedure, it's all about getting all 4 butterflies working exactly the same! You will find, however, that they will react differently to each other and you will find yourself going back and forth a few times to get all 4 working the same...

Today was the first time I was able to pull the side panels and really look at the vents etc.

Got it nice and hot...parked it and took a 15 minute break. Started fine. Rode home and parked it, let it idle while I pulled off side panels etc.

there was a drop or 2 MAYBE of fuel that was in the vent tubes...I will keep an eye on it....but I am not worrying about it anymore.

I was going to adjust the idle speed on the carbs, but I am need a better picture of where the idle adjustment screw is.

I turned what I thought was it (based on picture from the digital service manual....which just isnt clear at all) pretty sure that it was the sync screw on the left side for adjusting the left bank and right bank of carbs...and that is why it wasnt doing much. lol.

Today was the first time I was able to pull the side panels and really look at the vents etc.

Got it nice and hot...parked it and took a 15 minute break. Started fine. Rode home and parked it, let it idle while I pulled off side panels etc.

there was a drop or 2 MAYBE of fuel that was in the vent tubes...I will keep an eye on it....but I am not worrying about it anymore.

I was going to adjust the idle speed on the carbs, but I am need a better picture of where the idle adjustment screw is.

I turned what I thought was it (based on picture from the digital service manual....which just isnt clear at all) pretty sure that it was the sync screw on the left side for adjusting the left bank and right bank of carbs...and that is why it wasnt doing much. lol.

The Mixture screw is behind a carb plug on just below the Diaphragm plates. The Idle screw is on the left hand side on the carb rail between the drain bowl pipes it is almost straight up and down. I can get you pictures if you want. I have 7 of these carbs apart right now. I am ordering everything new that I can. just taking them a Bit at a time But I do have 1&2 carb assembly together outside so it wont be nothing to get a picture of what you need, Again what town are you in?

That would be awesome if you dont mind. I am visual.

I live in a little town called Castle, OK

I work in Sand Springs, OK which is basically Tulsa.

I also have business in Cassville MO and working on some other small towns in MO.

I will make a trip up through Joplin sooner than later once I can get the bike where I am really comfortable....and I am getting there.

That would be awesome if you dont mind. I am visual.

I live in a little town called Castle, OK

I work in Sand Springs, OK which is basically Tulsa.

I also have business in Cassville MO and working on some other small towns in MO.

I will make a trip up through Joplin sooner than later once I can get the bike where I am really comfortable....and I am getting there.

Well was thinking along the lines if ya needed some assistance, I am learning something new on these bikes seems like every week. I am by no means a expert at them but your close.

Ok this is one and two setting on top of my spare coil rack. The first picture is sync screw on number one carb. No.1 is the back the carbs are numbered with you sitting on the bike left one closest to you is number 1 and.number 2 is up front it is basically your pilot carb.3 will be in the right rear and 4 will be the right front. There will be two screws side by side on those. Hope this helps. 52d56728111321a5e43eb2df7cf1ffbf.jpg

Edited by snyper316
Forgot 3&4

ok, so I WAS adjusting the sync not the idle today. lol.

It looks like the idle screw adjusting would be a Phillips and from the pictures it looks like the screw driver would be pointed upwards to make the adjustment?

I will look at this closer tomorrow and try to compare it to my bike.

ok, so I WAS adjusting the sync not the idle today. lol.

It looks like the idle screw adjusting would be a Phillips and from the pictures it looks like the screw driver would be pointed upwards to make the adjustment?

I will look at this closer tomorrow and try to compare it to my bike.

Yes you will have to look upward. The screw may differ slightly as my bike and carbs are the mk1, you have the mk2 the carbs are the same for the most part..

I didn't even realize he said something bout screwdriver

I find it a little tricky to get my fingers in there so sometimes I'll just use a common screwdriver against one of the cogs on the wheel and turn it that way.

I find it a little tricky to get my fingers in there so sometimes I'll just use a common screwdriver against one of the cogs on the wheel and turn it that way.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about using screwdriver there I have arthritis and sometimes have too....