IGNORED

aux plug on factory radio gen II

Okay so been thru several cords now hooking the iPod to the bike. The issue seems to be the AUX port itself. I haven't torn into it yet. Has any one tinkered?

i was wondering if i could leave the deck in place and "unscrew" the bezel, or is there a nut on the back.

The std 1/8 phone/stereo plug is pretty simple there is usually two partial collars, and a third "finger" that are made of springy brass or plated steel. the 1/8 pin goes in and each level of the pin makes contact with one of the three. sometimes (most times) the collars loosen a bit so you end up with intermittent contact.

So i want to pull it to and tweak it so it can go another 10 years or at least to another owner..(whole other story)

Edited by baylensman
somehow tweak became twerk and that another forum altogether

You can split the fairing, look for connection wire to back of aux. port. There is a connector you can take apart, buy a "y" connector and plug it in, then plug a 3ft extension wire into open leg of "y" run that wire out to handlebars and plug into your ipod. You wont need to use the aux socket on tape player and you can keep that door closed. Total cost about 7bucks. About 1hr to complete. You can tape connections inside fairing to keep them good and tight. Good time to clean and dielectric grease all radio connections while you have it apart.

Craig

OK, what Craig said!! The issue could be the jack in the cassette deck OR it could be the connection from the cassette deck to the head unit! By installing a Y adapter as Craig suggested that will eliminate the jack on the cassette deck as your problem. Also, the problem could really be the external connector between the cassette deck and the head unit...