IGNORED

1984 Venture Fork Leak.. but where from?

I just noticed a puddle of liquid on the right side of the front wheel. At first thought the calipers were leaking, but it seems to be coming from the anti-dive housing. Has anyone experienced leaks from the o-rings of this housing? I checked the two allen bolts and they are tight.

I plan to replace the fork oil and will also replace the two o-rings on the anti-dive, but I am concerned that it started leaking while parked.:think:

I just noticed a puddle of liquid on the right side of the front wheel. At first thought the calipers were leaking, but it seems to be coming from the anti-dive housing. Has anyone experienced leaks from the o-rings of this housing? I checked the two allen bolts and they are tight
I believe the anti-dives on the MkI's are activated by the brakes so there could be a leak in either the brake line or the fork oil. Knowing which type of oil was puddled would indicate where you need to look closer. Perhaps a spray of baby powder will help to point out where the oil is coming from.

Yes, the anti dive valves on Mk I Ventures can leak fork oil. When I was riding my 83, I purchased new anti dive valves when they were available, and then purchased used but still not leaking valves. I never tried to replace the seals, but I'd be interested in knowing if that could be done with ordinary 'O' rings.

Frank,

Yes, the anti dive valves on Mk I Ventures can leak fork oil. When I was riding my 83, I purchased new anti dive valves when they were available, and then purchased used but still not leaking valves. I never tried to replace the seals, but I'd be interested in knowing if that could be done with ordinary 'O' rings.

Frank,

I used regular Orings on the anti-dives on Big Red. For many things I just match them up by size and composition. The ones in question are petroleum resistant.

I disconnected the anti-dives when I installed Progressives. I removed the line and plugged the hole on the valves with a 10 mm bolt and crush washer and then used a single banjo bolt on the caliper. The valves need to remain in place for the fork to work otherwise a block off plate with proper ports.

I'm having the same issue.....I rebuilt the entire front end last winter....funny thing is, all year long I had no leaks...now my forks are leaking. BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm leaking fork oil.

It should be pretty easy to determine if it's brake fluid. Squeeze the brake lever. If that's it, it won't be long and you'll see it. My guess is fork oil.

One trick I use on finding fluid leaks is to spray dry powder antiperspirant on the suspected area. You will see seepage as the fluid discolors from white to dark and moist. The anti-dive system never was that good anyway, the lady has the best idea if it is those units.

One trick I use on finding fluid leaks is to spray dry powder antiperspirant on the suspected area. You will see seepage as the fluid discolors from white to dark and moist. The anti-dive system never was that good anyway, the lady has the best idea if it is those units.
I used to do that too but a while ago I tried to find some and apparently that kind of product is no longer available. I did find some baby powder that would spray a dusting on the area.