IGNORED

Removing choke plungers.

I cleaned the carbs on this 86 venture and synced carbs and adjusted mixtures but it starts very hard and the choke doesn't seem to do much to help. Unfirtunately, I didn't touch the choke plungers.. They are actuating. Can I take them out to clean and spray orifices without removing the carb set? They look accessible. Other option was to run a while with seafoam (I can get it running if I stay on the throttle). Yesterday warm it was running great and started right up

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Wow, no responses on this? Well I tried swapping in my ignetek ignition which didn't help. Seems warm or cold I'm losing 1 volt from my battery through ignition switch. And measured the coil primary and secondary windings and pick up resistance.primary windings and pickups in spec. Secondary's from +12v in through the spark plug gap were 23k ohm vs spec 10-15k ohm (was I supposed to remove spark plug caps for this measurement or does the spec take into consideration the cap resistance?). I recently trimmed back the plug wires and measured plug caps around 9k ohm. Can't see how all four coils could be temperature sensitive like that.. I have seen them intermittent open with temp, nor can I see plug caps intermittent like that but perhaps... So I ran it for a while with choke open and idle up burning fuel and strong sea foam and carb/injector cleaner mix. Then sent owner away telling him to be patient warming it and ride two tankfulls with strong sea foam (8 oz per tank). Back to my original question, can I remove choke plungers without pulling carbs?

Wow, no responses on this? Well I tried swapping in my ignetek ignition which didn't help. Seems warm or cold I'm losing 1 volt from my battery through ignition switch. And measured the coil primary and secondary windings and pick up resistance.primary windings and pickups in spec. Secondary's from +12v in through the spark plug gap were 23k ohm vs spec 10-15k ohm (was I supposed to remove spark plug caps for this measurement or does the spec take into consideration the cap resistance?). I recently trimmed back the plug wires and measured plug caps around 9k ohm. Can't see how all four coils could be temperature sensitive like that.. I have seen them intermittent open with temp, nor can I see plug caps intermittent like that but perhaps... So I ran it for a while with choke open and idle up burning fuel and strong sea foam and carb/injector cleaner mix. Then sent owner away telling him to be patient warming it and ride two tankfulls with strong sea foam (8 oz per tank). Back to my original question, can I remove choke plungers without pulling carbs?

I was kind of interested in this trick. The problem would be is the fingers that pull the plungers for one, the other is you have to pull the rod to get to the fingers, and the only way I know you can pull them is to pull the Carbs.

I think i can loosen the finger set screw to allow the fingers to rock all the way back as the plungers pull out. Its just sucky getting a wrench or crows foot in there to hit the plunger nut and then once out I don't know where that circuit goes to spray it clean. Gotta dig up that carb diagram I printed from the other site).

It will probably take more time to tinker with them in place than it will to remove the carbs and do it and reinstall.

The enrichment valves also need to be adjusted to open at the same time and all close properly. Although it's a rather simple adjustment I think it would be nearly impossible to do properly with the carbs in place. I believe that if this were done wrong it might prevent one from closing fully.

If you are already at the point that you can get to them it shouldn't take much more than an hour or so to take 'em off, do your repairs and reinstall.

A couple of the other guys may have a different take on the issue but I think I'd just go ahead and yank 'em instead of waiting on answers.

YG

Thanks that pic reminds me the three screw that sock down the choke plunger housing.. I think the four carbs had to be separated to do that.. Will read up on rebuilds and think about that. And thanks yamagrl on that point about adjusting. They are all pulling out about the same amount (a lot), and close completely, so I think its a clogged passage or perhaps that enrichment diaphrams I recall... And pulling carbs, always a pain to get the cables on and off. Even slacked on adjustment still not long enough to make it easy. I've posted looking for a sequence/process without help.

Thanks that pic reminds me the three screw that sock down the choke plunger housing.. I think the four carbs had to be separated to do that.. Will read up on rebuilds and think about that. And thanks yamagrl on that point about adjusting. They are all pulling out about the same amount (a lot), and close completely, so I think its a clogged passage or perhaps that enrichment diaphrams I recall... And pulling carbs, always a pain to get the cables on and off. Even slacked on adjustment still not long enough to make it easy. I've posted looking for a sequence/process without help.

I've always found it easier to take throttle cable loose from the throttle handle first, then much more slack is available . makes it whole lot easier to remove the rack

I agree that its easier to just remove carb set to do any work other than adjustment of hi/low or diaphragm work.

Sorry I was referring to the starter plunger as the enrichment valve. I wasn't actually meaning the air cutoff enrichment valve.

Do you have the Carb rebuild video by Damon Ferraiuolo?

His email is

Damon_Ferraiuolo@msn.com

Sorry I was referring to the starter plunger as the enrichment valve. I wasn't actually meaning the air cutoff enrichment valve.

Do you have the Carb rebuild video by Damon Ferraiuolo?

His email is

Damon_Ferraiuolo@msn.com

Here is a Sample Clip by Damon on carb rebuild. He also has an about 4.5 hour video on Vmax engine rebuild.

I think they are 20.00 for both inc shipping. You will not be disappointed.

YG

Nope, don't have a link for that video but will email him.. Thanks!

I guess I haven't a pleasure of messing with the cables my push cable has been busted since I got the bike.. as far the video there is no real link you have to purchase them.