IGNORED

Maintenance question

Oldodge

I am replacing the rear tire on my 2013 RSV that got screwed. Literally, a screw thru the tread area. I lubed the splines and the pins that go in the wheel. I drained the oil from the final drive and plan to pull the driveshaft tonight to lube the front splines. My question is, should I pull the driveshaft out of the final drive to lube the spline there? A search provided an hours worth of interesting reading, but not a definitive answer. Some say the splines are lubed by the final drive oil and pulling the shaft is a waste because you will surely damage the seal. Others say pull it, it will be dry and the seal is hard to damage. What do you guys say? Also my final drive oil came out a light tan color. Not sure what color it was when it went in, but doesn't look like any gear lube I ever used. Water maybe? Feels ok, slippery and about the viscosity I would expect. Just the color throws me off, maybe a synthetic of some type? I am at 26,000 miles and I haven't changed the final drive oil since the 1k mile checkup at the dealer. When I would check the level and dip test it with a screw driver every oil change it looked really good. Still does, until you drain it in a clear container and it is such an off color. It wasn't overfull and I have no signs of leakage so I am just confused if it is contaminated, where did it come from and where did the excess oil go? Opinions please.

I'm sure other will weigh in to but here is my experience so far.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the tan color of the oil. Sound like the color of mine when I change it.

I check to see if the magnetic drain plug has any filings on it. Nothing to speak of so far. I have also changed mine every year simply because it is such a small amount and easy to do. Fill it till it overflows. Currently have 75000 miles on bike most pulling a trailer with no rear end issues.

I have also read the same info you have on the shaft connecting the yoke to the rear diff. I use Honda Moly 60 and grease the front splines. I agree that the gear on the diff side of the shaft gets oil from the rear diff through a small hole. Having said that I use a very small amount of Moly 60 on that gear if the shaft does pop out before reassembling. Also gives you a chance to inspect it to if you pull it out.

Any Moly on that gear is just going to end up mixing with the rear diff oil which wont hurt it. Ive even heard of people adding moly to the gear oil. I dont do that cuz its so easy to change the oil and check the magnet every year for any evidence of filings, water,etc.

Thats my 2 cents worth. Good luck. JR

Edited by Midnight

My question is, should I pull the driveshaft out of the final drive to lube the spline there?

You should pull the driveshaft to lube the yoke splines. A little lube on the final drive would be good as well but the final drive end receives its' lube from the diff side oil. Lube on the oring on the final drive is a good thing. See here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?95242-To-Lube-or-Not-to-Lube-That-is-the-question

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Midnight: I am glad I am not the only one with tan gear lube. " I have also changed mine every year simply because it is such a small amount and easy to do." That is exactly what I will do from now on as well.

Du-Rron: Excellent write-up. I read a lot of articles and threads on the subject and somehow missed that one. The one I should have read.

I will pull the shaft from the final drive as well. If I don't I will keep wondering if the holes are open and it is getting proper lube.

Thanks again, wisdom, and willingness to share it, are what this site is all about.

Well that was a lot less trouble than I expected:banana:. Pulled the driveshaft and spline had a small amount of grease on it:happy34:. Pulled it from the final drive and was glad to see it was wet with gear oil:happy34:. Greased the front spline and coated the rear splines and seal with gear oil before reassembly. Used the coat hanger through the swingarm access hole to align shaft and u-joint. Took no time at all since tire/wheel was already off. Thanks again guys:happy65::bowdown:.