IGNORED

New radio/intercom cable

I purchased a replacement radio/intercom cable from J&M Audio a couple years ago with the intention of replacing my broken one whenever I got that far into the tupperware. Well I'm there so I break out the new cable and notice it doesn't have the junction where another set of wires joins the party. I'm assuming that is where the CB and Intercom come in so probably can't use the new cable. I'll call them tomorrow and see what's going on. I know where the old cable is bad as I can wiggle it near the connector and get it to work if I keep it bent at a sharp angle.

Just one of those days!! :bang head:

Looking at the wiring diagram those wires stubbing out to the little connector go to the handlebar mounted remote controls for the rider's headset.

At least that's the way it was set up for the '86 model, which is the only detailed diagram I have for that piece.

I had the same issue shortly after I got my bike. The pins lost contact in the connector that straps to the false tank cover. I had to order a used replacement. I think I got it from a member, here. It has been working for 3 years.

OK may have a fix for you. Does the cable have say an inch or slack beyond where you say if you kink it to make work? If so I have some of the 5 pin connectors that will work with the radio system. Are/can you solder and repair? Just cut the bad spot out of the cable, solder on the new leads and your ready to go. The wires are very small and I will say tough to solder at times.

OK may have a fix for you. Does the cable have say an inch or slack beyond where you say if you kink it to make work? If so I have some of the 5 pin connectors that will work with the radio system. Are/can you solder and repair? Just cut the bad spot out of the cable, solder on the new leads and your ready to go. The wires are very small and I will say tough to solder at times.

A buddy of mine is good with a solder gun. Let me know the cost of shipping and the part and i can either paypal it to you or send a check.

I can send you a pm with my address when your ready to send it.

I've been looking at some older threads about this cable and several members gave links to a supplier that offered a YV-41 as a new substitute for the broken intercom cable (coming from the amp). I can tell you from experience that it will not be what your looking for if you have controls for the intercom & radio on your handlebar. Reason being there isn't a junction in the new YV-41 wire that allows you to hook into the wire coming from the handlebar control. I sent a pic of mine to J&M and they stated they have never made that part for Yamaha Ventures (with the junction).

Soo.. what years of the first generations don't have handlebar controls for audio? :confused24: