IGNORED

Speedometer quit working then magically works again.

As I was pulling out of work and shifting into seccond, I heard a click almost like what it sounds like when shifting. Thought nothing of it till I looked down and saw my speedometer wasn't working. I drove about 5 blocks and parked it for a few hours. Hopped on for another short trip (2 blocks) and now the speedometer works... Should I be looking for new parts or is this an easy fix by tightening something or is this a one time hiccup.

I went across a Bridge and my Speedometer quit working anyway what had happened it just popped out of the square on the axle plus the cable housing nut had came loose greased it and popped it back up and tightened the nut back down and haven't had a problem since. if you were turning right and getting it you probably just pulled the cable out and when you stopped maybe somehow it had kinda went back in place and when you started taking off it probably just slipped right back in there but I would check the cable where it is easiest to get to just to be sure.

The speedometer drive unit on the wheel has two flattish pins that fit into slots on the wheel. The drive unit also has a locator that must be fit into a slot on the fork. If the lower cable nut comes loose the drive cable will fall out and be lost forever.

If the upper cable nut comes unscrewed the nut will slide down the cable which will allow the drive cable to detach from the speedometer head. Usually when the cable becomes unattached at the top end it will fall to the side but, while unlikely, it is possible for the drive cable to be reinserted into the speedometer head and start to work again. It is not very likely that a broken drive cable could become temporarily reattached but it might be possible.

This does not appear to be your issue but if there is a problem with the speedometer head it is usually announced by a squealing sound that indicates the bushing is dried out. This bushing is problematic in that it needs grease from the backside. It is possible to force enough grease in from the outside but a special grease nipple fitting must be made. Otherwise the speedo must be disassembled to grease from the inside.

The speedometer drive unit on the wheel has two flattish pins that fit into slots on the wheel. The drive unit also has a locator that must be fit into a slot on the fork. If the lower cable nut comes loose the drive cable will fall out and be lost forever.

If the upper cable nut comes unscrewed the nut will slide down the cable which will allow the drive cable to detach from the speedometer head. Usually when the cable becomes unattached at the top end it will fall to the side but, while unlikely, it is possible for the drive cable to be reinserted into the speedometer head and start to work again. It is not very likely that a broken drive cable could become temporarily reattached but it might be possible.

This does not appear to be your issue but if there is a problem with the speedometer head it is usually announced by a squealing sound that indicates the bushing is dried out. This bushing is problematic in that it needs grease from the backside. It is possible to force enough grease in from the outside but a special grease nipple fitting must be made. Otherwise the speedo must be disassembled to grease from the inside.

And I do have one of those special nipples if you are ever wandering down this way. It was made by a member here.