IGNORED

4th gear slipping out.

A couple times Lucy has kicked out of 4th while shifting. She is fine in all other gears. I shift from 3rd to 4th and she just free spins and I have to go up to 5th. Happened now about 3 times. I've read a lot about the second gear issues with the first gens but haven't seen anything about the other gears. She is at 48,xxx miles. Ideas oh wise ones?

You betcha Mr. Tamale King :big-grin-emoticon:

Sure sounds suspiciously like a shift drum detent mechanism issue to me.. The shaft that you bikes shifter attaches to on the left side of your scoot passes thru the engine and reappears on the right side under the clutch. It is entirely possible that something has come loose in that mechanism and that is what is causing your problem. Go to this link - look at picture in post number 10 and you can get a good idea of what I am talking of:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?121678-Clutch-basket-remove

Also might not be a bad idea to read DNA's whole thread there as it would give you some insight into what all is involved in getting to it..

+1 Tamale :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::fatsmiley:

I had that happen a few times also. Just making sure to shift very firmly each time and it has not happened now in years. When I shift I use a quick and very firm foot motion.

Usually when it is a shift segment issue it will go up to a gear and not go any farther, depending on which pin fell out. Since you can continue thru to 5th says it is likely something else.

I just went out to the shop and took a good look at a transmission from an 84.

The overall travel required of the gears involved in shifting into 4th appears to be the longest lateral travel required in order to engage any gear. The condensed version is that it's a pretty lengthy throw. But the shift lever will still only move the standard amount. I'm certain the shift cam (drum) and the forks are engineered to accommodate this. But with a little wear it might be easy to "miss" fourth.

Perhaps, as @Flyinfool says... a good positive shift may be all that's needed. The dogs on the side of 3rd that engage the dogs on the side of 4th are mildly under-cut, so as long as they get to a certain point they will be drawn together by the force. May the Force be with you.

Maybe make certain that your shift linkage and all of that stuff is properly adjusted and lubed and functioning smoothly.

YG