IGNORED

82 Virago for sale question? TCI OR ELECTRICAL

snyper316

I don't know that they're any more prone to problems than any other TCI. I know some Yamaha TCIs were sensitive to low voltage - would quit working below 11 volts while the starter would still happily grind away. Not sure if the Virago TCI is like that though.

The really common problem for that motorcycle is a bad starter clutch, so if it cranks that is a good sign. Or the clutch could be shot and it's not actually cranking the engine but rattling the starter clutch rollers.

Starter clutches are a big enough problem on those there is a joke that Virago is Italian for "Push Start".

MiCarl is giving REALLY sound advice here Snyp!! The starter mechanism was iffy in them right from the get go - as I recall, the starter clutch setup was totally different than our Ventures though.. They used a Bendix of sorts between the flywheel ring gear and the starter. Played with em some years ago and found that grinding a small amount of relief on the edge of the mating starter drive gears helped alot with REAL noisy engagement and also allowed for smoother release of the gear set. Another thing that really helped this dorky system was a REALLY good battery that would SNAP the whole assembly into production when ya hit the starter.. I might be wrong on all this (going from a "challenged" memory has it's disadvantages) but regardless - if I were you BEFORE I dragged that Virago home I would at least check on how exactly that system works AND find out if any of those parts are still available as you sure dont wanna get stuck with a scoot that is push start only..

As far as the titling question - it used to be you could get a bonded title fairly easily - just cost more.. Another method here in Michigan is/was to do a ground up build - frame and all.. When finished you have to have it inspected and then the State issues an "Assembled" title..

Personally,, unless I just HAD to have a 750 Virago or needed parts for one - I wouldn't go there - IMHO..

Thats why i asked because im thinking lots of money I offered him 75 he wouldnt take it and no kinda thinking i want to try and build a bike but i don't want to mess with motor and im thinking thats what this guy found out btw what is a bonded title? are you talking like a court ordered one... just wondering cause my 07 rebel i messed the title up on it by writing 2-18-900 then put three lines thru that and wrote 2016 they informed me Title void but im thinking be easier just to get the Rebel Frame...

Thats why i asked because im thinking lots of money I offered him 75 he wouldnt take it and no kinda thinking i want to try and build a bike but i don't want to mess with motor and im thinking thats what this guy found out btw what is a bonded title? are you talking like a court ordered one... just wondering cause my 07 rebel i messed the title up on it by writing 2-18-900 then put three lines thru that and wrote 2016 they informed me Title void but im thinking be easier just to get the Rebel Frame...

Here you go Snyp,, http://blog.suretysolutionsllc.com/suretynews/how-to-get-a-missouri-bonded-title

• 1 month later...

well I bought tci off ebay for 25. The fenders can be bought. The seat for a good used one about 125. I've put two back together so far. You will have to pull carbs and clean its been sitting they don't like that. The only thing that could get pricy is if all the relays are gone under seat. The only thing I learned the hard way was cleaning out fuel tank. used house hold cleaner and put a bunch of nuts in tank. Shook the poo out of tank for about a hour had help. Went to dump out, rust came out but those nuts were stubborn there is a lip on opening had to use a magnet took quite a while... grumble grumble.