IGNORED

Carb Air Vent Hoses to nowhere

So the other day when I was swapping out my Intake Manifolds I came across two "Air Vent Hoses" as they are called in the service manual. They came off the shafts liking the carbs and ran under the gas tank to the front fairings. Here's where it get disturbed. The hoses terminated inside the fairing. They were just sort of 'tucked in' there with no cap or plug or filter. That just seems very odd to me given the engineering labyrinth the intake system has turned out to be that the engineers would not have somehow protected these tubes from taking in dust or whatnot. So I have two questions for you wise, knowledgeable and good-hearted folk:

1. Are the vent hoses supposed to go to nowhere?

2. WTF O? (for those who have never been around military folk, that means "What the F#!k, Over? It may not make sense to you at first if you've never heard it, but say it a dozen times and it begins to feel natural)

I've attached a scan of the page of the service manual. The entire manual appears to make no further mention of these tubes again.

thanks in advance!!

DJC

I believe those are the breather tubes for the carb float bowls. They go into a small bracket on the air cleaner box on the front side. If your floats stick the gas will run out through these hoses and away from the hot engine.

I believe those are the breather tubes for the carb float bowls. They go into a small bracket on the air cleaner box on the front side. If your floats stick the gas will run out through these hoses and away from the hot engine.

Absolutely correct. There are little rectangular brackets right on the front of the air cleaner box that the ends of these hoses just stick through; they are not clamped in or attached in any way. They barely reach, so sometimes they can be a little tricky to get positioned in the brackets. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks! I was afraid I had completely screwed something up.

It still freaks me out that given the massive engineering effort put in to the air intake Yamaha engineers would say to each other "hey I have an idea for the carb overflow problem... let's just run some rubber hoses down to the business end of the intake system we just spent the last 6 months engineering!" Obviously the accent would be different... but you get the idea.