IGNORED

My summer ride 2016

Patmac6075

Ok, so here goes...

I had an '82 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim which I had sold to a member of a XJ bike site,where I'm also a member. The problem was...I live in Milwaukee and he lives in Charlotte NC....when we made the deal I made it clear that it was his responsibility come and get the bike or make arrangements to have it picked up....WELL...since I'm starting a new job in July and I was driving my wife crazy, being home all day and I really wanted to take a long distance ride (on my Venture)...I kind of made the offer to the buyer that I might be willing to deliver the bike....IF...he'd be willing to cover expenses. Guess what? He agreed!

So on Monday morning I packed up the XJ (I should note that I have completely recommissioned this bike and have gone over every system, and I had every confidence she'd make the trip without incident) and pointed her southeast and hit the ignition.

I made it through WI, IL, IN, and OH arriving in Cincinnati around 7:30p...just in time for some Skyline chili. I should point out the temps remained in the low 90's the entire way and the entire ride was basically flat and straight, and very boring. I would not advise anyone to take this route! I should also point out that the Yamaha XJ750 Maxim was designed as a street cruiser type of bike, NOT a long distance bike. Because of this I really couldn't ride much more than 100 miles at a time...not only because the bike was uncomfortable for log stretches, but because 120-130 miles was also the limit of the fuel supply.

I got up early and made a beeline for Charlotte....the ride through WV, VA, and NC was exponentially better!...mostly mountainous, much cooler, and I mostly missed the rain...I arrived in Chalotte just as rush hour was beginning and instead of making my destination at 3:30p...I showed up around 7:00!

Finishing my trip with just over 1100 miles! I wouldn't suggest this ride to anyone else, but I had a great time...met face to face with a site member I've known for 5 years (and turned out to be a great guy!), I saw some terrific sites, and ate some really good local foods!

For my ride home I rented a car and drove to Maine for some lobster (something I always wanted to do)...spent some time site seeing , and then took the long way home...avoiding the main highways as best as I could....I really had a great time!

Now where can I go on the Venture?

I know you were attempting to make the quickest run to Charlotte from Cincy, but, last week, I rode US25 to Lexington, US421 to Boone, NC, then US321 on to Charlotte. US 421 along the way includes the section in the mountains called "The Snake" and is a blast to ride. The next day, I made my way over to the coast and rode US17 on in to Florida. It was a great ride.

If you haven't been to the Robbinsville, NC area to ride, that would be a fantastic trip. There are so many great roads around the area that you could ride for a week and not be on the same great mountain roads.

Ever done Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway? 620 miles of beautiful mountains and great roads.

So many places to go........so many things to see.......

Finishing my trip with just over 1100 miles! I wouldn't suggest this ride to anyone else, but I had a great time...met face to face with a site member I've known for 5 years (and turned out to be a great guy!), I saw some terrific sites, and ate some really good local foods!

Now where can I go on the Venture?

Having ridden in all 50 of the lower States and parts of Canada I gotta say,,, some of the sweetest and most memorable ride adventures revolve around having the honor and opportunity to meet face to face with the lop eared varmints I had read about here on the site.. If I happened to end up blessed with another lifetime of riding these old Ventures I think it would be fun to strap on the tent, hit the road and go knock on VR members doors while enjoying the ribbon of roadways that bless North America - say hi, I am Puc, just wanted to meet you and head for the next one:big-grin-emoticon:...

That said Mac,, if your just wanting some amazing site seeing within a stones throw from Wisconsin - Iron Mountain Road, Needles Hwy, Spearfish Canyon (the two tracks from Spearfish to Devils Tower are OUTSTANDING if your into two tracking at all) in South Dakota are area's where a person on a Venture could have a pretty good time chasing his shadow...

Hey puc, if you ever want to take a south east ride and come thru Johnson City, and you know where that is, you would not have to camp as you would have a bed here for you and Tippy. :happy34:

Randy

:scared:,, Thanks Randy for the Southern Hospitality invite brother!! Goes both ways,, I hope you KNOW that!!!:thumbsup:

To bad you missed it this weekend. You could have jumped onto the Venture and had a guided tour around some of the best riding in Wisconsin at Orlins MD in Veroqua WI. Not to mention meeting a bunch of us trouble makers and even foced to have some really good icecream and pizza, and chicken and and and .......