IGNORED

Sweet Avon Cobra's On My '88 Venture Royale!

Chaplain Dusty

Yes, yes, yes! These Avon Cobra's handle sooo well on my 1988 Venture Royale. The bike handles like a sport bike now. Dry or wet, they feel good. However, as all tires, they do not like snow or ice! I dropped the bike last Sunday. I got caught just after a freak hail storm. The traffic was backed up. There was no where to go, no pull off spots and no turn around spots. It was follow the ruts that cars were making in front of me. 4 inches of hail built up all around me with a 4 inch river off water flowing down the car ruts. It was stop and go with chunks of ice freezing at the bottom of the ruts. I was ninety percent through it all when the lane I was in filling in tighter with the white stuff. Just as I passed a tow truck which had picked up a car that had slid off the road, I decided to cross to the slow lane in front of him because there was no traffic. He had that lane blocked. As I attempted this, the bike slid away from me. I let her go and landed on my feet. No sooner than the bike went down, the two tow truck drivers jumped out of the truck and ran over. They helped me get the bike up and pushed out of the area I was stuck in. It bent my front brake lever a bit, but I straightened it out. It was touch and go for about another 100 yards, but everything came together and it was clear sailing after. I was very thankful that there were no injuries and the crash bars on the bike did their job. The bags and fairing came through well. It was good that all of this was at slow speed. That is New Mexico for you! If you do not like the weather, wait 5 minutes.

Chaplain Dusty :biker:

Ps. Praise God for His protection! :backinmyday:

When I put Avons on my 83, I could not believe how much lighter the bike felt. It was like flicking around a sport bike. But, my delight soon changed when solo and I was running speeds above 70, as I got the tail waggle. But, it did not seem as bad when 2up. I adjusted tire pressures and anything else I could think of but no change. Since the back wore out first, I replaced it with an Elite 3 and immediately the tail waggle went away.

When the front Avon was worn, I went with an Elite 3 and the bike felt stable, but not as sporty feeling. At the present time I am running a half worn Elite 3 on the back and a new Avon on the front and feel that is the best combo of all and have had others make the same comment.

This was several years ago and at that time there were several of us, all of 1st genners, that had exactly the same problem. I hope by now that is no longer a problem.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

WOWZY Brother - that sounds like quite an experience!! I thank the Lord that it all came out like it did and you were neither injured (most important) and that your scoot is going to be ok - AMEN!!

By the sounds of the weather conditions and the roadway the hail storm caught you on - I can only say that God was watching your every move :2132: on that one - could have been a WHOLE lot worse my brother!!

When I put Avons on my 83, I could not believe how much lighter the bike felt. It was like flicking around a sport bike. But, my delight soon changed when solo and I was running speeds above 70, as I got the tail waggle. But, it did not seem as bad when 2up. I adjusted tire pressures and anything else I could think of but no change. Since the back wore out first, I replaced it with an Elite 3 and immediately the tail waggle went away.

When the front Avon was worn, I went with an Elite 3 and the bike felt stable, but not as sporty feeling. At the present time I am running a half worn Elite 3 on the back and a new Avon on the front and feel that is the best combo of all and have had others make the same comment.

This was several years ago and at that time there were several of us, all of 1st genners, that had exactly the same problem. I hope by now that is no longer a problem.

Randy

I experienced the same sporty feeling with the Avon Venoms on the '83. I bought a set, but only mounted the front as the EII on the back had a lot of miles on it. No wiggle. After a few years I did mount the back but never ran it at high speeds. I trailered the bike to Cody and did mostly mountain touring, and didn't have a problem. If I ever get around to needing a new tire I may go to the Cobra. Right now I'm running EIII's on all the RSV's. And with the few miles I've been putting on and the milage I get with the 3's it may never happen in my life time..... :backinmyday:

• 7 months later...

Still enjoying the Avon's. I have stretched it to 115 miles per hour and no problems other than some back sway from the wind catching the side bags. No wobble in the front at all. Just checking her out and quickly let off the power to glide her down. I really do not need to go that fast, but it was fun for a bit. Still had more throttle though. And yes, she handles like a sport bike.