IGNORED

Leaking oil after replacing stator

Where is it leaking from?

The common leaks are;

1. Where the wires come out thru the rubber plug.

2. Leaving out the copper crush washer on the bottom bolt of the middle gear cover.

3. Not doing a good job of cleaning all of the old gasket off of all four gasket surfaces before reassembly.

When I briefly looked at it before I left. I'd say number 3. The old gasket I re used because it still was in good shape going all the way around the stator cover. I didn't use any sealant either. Option 1 and 2 I feel good about.

G'day Nate, IMHO I would never re-use a gasket.

Now Unfortunatley there is really only one way to fix it properly... Yeaup you guessed it!! What I would do is clean around the cover whilst it is on the side stand, (or position you notice leak) take special notice where the leak is coming from, you may have to warm her up first to get her "leaking", my guess is that it will actually be where the "wire plugs" exit the case, this is where I had a small leak on my '83 prior to replacing the stator.

I spent more time preparing the "mating surfaces " than it took me to replace the stator, the photo I posted in your original post shows just how clean I got them. As you will now know the rubber plugs (two ) have a small "ridge" that mates into the cover, THIS RECESS MUST BE CLEAN AND FREE FROM GASKET GUNK, i used a very small amount of gasket gunk (call it what you will) on these plugs as I inserted them into the cover (see slight red colour on the photo).

NOW what I found was the "plugs" would push in slightly "deep" into the cover leaving a "gap" that the new gasket could not "fill" the result would have been another leak.ENSURE THAT THE RUBBER "plugs" are level with or slightly "proud" (100ths) of the cover so that the gasket can "fill the gap".

Alternately the plugs would sit "too proud" as a result of gunk in the recess, same result the gasket cannot "fill" the small gap left at the plug.

I hope this makes sense and I have not stated the obvious to you mate.

steve

image.jpg

G'day again Nate, just a wee thing mate and it is by no means a "major" but when you post a topic, if you can just use the one post heading and ask all your questions related to that topic within that post ie: Stator Replacement.

When you ask another question this post will always get "bumped up" the list, so don't worry that we will not see it mate.

I have just trolled through the three or so posts on your stator, and I could have answered all of those questions for you in one statement, and with pictures!!!!! ( I too have not long ago replaced my stator in my '83 Royale).

All good though and as I said it is not a major or a criticism, awesome to be able to help you, and look forward to more on your bike.

Regards

"Kiwi"

Edited by Kiwiroyale
Typo

Something you can do to make the job a little easier is to put a 3/4" or 1" piece of wood under the left pad of the center stand. This will tilt the bike to the right and even without draining the oil, you don't make a big mess when you pull the cover.