IGNORED

Kuryakyn curved license plate holder

Has anyone installed a curved license plate holder on a RSTD? I saw a 2006 with one installed on it but I'm not sure of the correct Kuryakyn number. KY-9198??

Sorry if there's already a thread on this... I couldn't find one using the search engine....

Thanks... The plate from I want is a horizontal mount, like the attached. I'm not sure this frame fits the mount on the Royal Star... I guess I need to get it through the Stealership .... That's where I saw it... I'll follow up on the part number and pictures when I get the thing & install it.... The frame really cleaned up the rear fender and curved flat against it.... I'm tired of my motorcycle cover getting stuck on the license plate.

• 1 month later...

I installed a curved license plate today. Kuryakyn # 9198... install was pretty easy and rids of the bill board while housing the plate. The look is custom compared to the stock set up.

• 1 month later...

emack, That looks great! Clean and Simple... I like it a lot!

How did you deal with mounting the unit to the fender and what did you do with the wires that are behind the stock bracket?

Can you post some more pcitures that show the conection to the fender.

Thanks

The old stock plate holder comes off... There's three bolt holes that are used on the original holder,.. you'll only need to use the bottom one on the new holder so re-install the top two bolts back in the holes. Disconnect the wires and slide the wires through the appropriate holes in the new plate holder. There's enough room in the new holder for the wires to reside. You'll be connecting the bottom of the plate holder to the bottom hole where the wires come out of the fender... there's a rubber hole guard on that hole that will also help the plate holder stay in position... you may need a bigger washer than they provide in the kit... Simply tighten the bolt, re-connect the wires and install the plate and top of the plate holder. I think it took me 25 minutes or so...

emack, That looks great! Clean and Simple... I like it a lot!

How did you deal with mounting the unit to the fender and what did you do with the wires that are behind the stock bracket?

Can you post some more pcitures that show the conection to the fender.

Thanks

Edited by emack

Thanks for the good writeup on the installation.

A Kuryakyn tail light with curved license plate holder was aready installed when I bought the bike and I had been playing with the idea of going back to the stock setup.

Guess I'll save myself the work for now thanks to your reason for changing in the first place.

Hey, I installed mine today. I found one additional thing that will help. When I tightened down the one bolt I could see the area of the plate back between the rubber wire grommets touching the fender. I got a rubber grommet out of my stash and put it in between the plate back and the bolt hole. This way the bolt holds the grommet in place and provides extra cushion for the plate back. Just my two cents worth. =)