Help Needed 1st gen will not start

Oldseadog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to say thanks to Yamagirl for the connector pic and the wiring diagram one as well. Both were of particular help in sorting out an ignition problem that has been plaguing me for almost 6 months. All 4 cylinders were firing but not at full capacity. The plugs were identical, didn't look bad but were wet. Along with poor gas mileage the engine was not putting out full power. I think there were multiple issues at play because I thought the problem had been identified and fixed several times but it kept coming back.

The final solution was the identified rectifier connector, once that had been cleaned full power was restored. Along the way, I discovered the stator was not putting out full power 50v, 46v, 47v AC which was probably a contributing factor since voltage at running speed was only about 13.5 DC and was easily reduced by slightly oxidized connectors at the TCI and R/R. I have a new stator on the way so should be back to perfect in a week or so.

Cheers to Yamagirl and all the rest of you who offer possible solutions to so many of our unsolvable situations.

I told you wrong. The connector with the five wires that I was referring to is actually on the left side attached to frame, below the seat. It is not tucked in by the fuel pump. Sorry...My bad.

In the pic #1

1. the green arrow points to the Grey wire going to the tack.
  2. The red circle is the connector that I have been talking about. This is where I would start. Dingy says that they are notorious for problems and in fact he includes a new replacement setup for this connector with his Ignitech TCI upgrade, (which would be an option if the TCI proves to be the culprit). This is what I'm betting on.
  3. The blue circle is the two connectors attached to the TCI

In pic #2 is the connector I have been referring to. Tinker with it, clean it up, make sure it makes good connections. Then try to start it up before you go any further. Only the left side cover needs to be removed in order to gain access.

If it still doesn't run after you have made certain that connector and the two on the TCI have good contact then your next thing to try is another TCI.

Good luck.

Heather

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105269[/ATTACH]

Had a guys bike do the same thing at Ashville couple years ago. Wouldn't fire up at all. Hooked up my spare TCI to it and it purred like a kitten. He said it had never ran like that just before he took off and I never heard from him again!! And he was a member.

Edited by Yammer Dan

UPDATE!! Well, it has been a couple of weeks since I had a chance to work on her, but I finally got back to it today. I used the TCI from Rocket, and put everything back together, I tried starting it and low and behold it started! So now I'm going to have to clean up mine and put it back in. I do have a couple of questions though. The first is how do you get the circuit board out of the housing? Are the pins soldered to the board, and have to be unsoldered to get the board out? I pulled the 5 screws from the board, and it was loose, but I was unable to remove the pins, or the circuit board. If I can't get the board out, do you think just cleaning the pins, may get the get things working again? Would the use of electrical contact cleaner work for this? Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you informed. The way I'm working, I'm hoping I get to ride this season!