IGNORED

intermittant chirping noise

Hello folks,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would try a post. I bought a 1983 1200 xvz with 24000 on last year and put 4000 miles on it with no problems. I did however start to hear a faint chirping noise coming from somewhere low in engine. It usually starts after 10 miles, comes and goes around 2000-2500 rpm. This year it's louder and more pronounced. If I play with the throttle and clutch it will quiet down. It sounds like George Jetson's car(as some put it), or a little like a belt tensioner pulley going bad on a car. My question is, has the clutch noise spoken of in the forum been seen in the first generation bike? Is there a fix? Thank you for looking.

No, the 2nd Gen clutch is a little different that the 1st Gen MK1 clutch. The George Jetson syndrome is pretty much a 2nd gen issue, all clutch basket related. The series "I" basket is sort of a fix for that but not completely. The noise is pretty much strictly an annoyance issue and not really a wear issue. Now, if the noise is indeed coming from the clutch, a set of Baron's clutch springs may cure it, but there are a few other possibilities. I'm sure others will chime in...

PS WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Slag,, if you fast forward thru the nonsense in this video to about 40 seconds and listen carefully you can hear the typical whining of our 83. What your hearing there is normal clutch whine that the 1st Gens are known for. There is also a very distinct water pump "chirp" that I have always experienced in my 1st Gens but usually that is most noticeable at an idle... Both very pleasant sounds to an ol Venture rider like myself...

Thanks for all the info,I am still trying to note when and under what conditions it pops up. It does not like cold mornings,45-50 degrees but is very quiet coming home 65-75 degrees.The jury is still out.Thanks again

Brother that sounds like a speedo!! These 1st Gens are KNOWN for chirping speedos (and SQUEELING if they get real dry - especially when cold).. Net time it happens watch the needle and see if you pickup and strange movements as its happening..

Only when it's cold... Sounds like the speedo might need greased up. Once I was pointed in that direction for my terrible squealing I confirmed it pretty quick. All I did was unhook the cable from the gear at the front wheel and temporarily zip tie it to a safe anchor point... with the cable pointing up of course, so it didn't disappear. Popped out on the road, instant quiet where once there was noise.

That sounds like the belt. I have a Victory and when the belt is not aligned correctly it makes that noise

There's numerous discussions about the chirping belt over on the Vic forum. I just posted .... 33,000 km's and 1 rear tire change and I've never adjusted the belt nor have I had any chirping. Seems some have all kinds of belt chirping/adjustment issues while most others don't.

There's numerous discussions about the chirping belt over on the Vic forum. I just posted .... 33,000 km's and 1 rear tire change and I've never adjusted the belt nor have I had any chirping. Seems some have all kinds of belt chirping/adjustment issues while most others don't.

I didn't have a vision but still a victory and the belt. I took it to the dealer a couple times, the last time they gave me a bar of soap to put on the edges.

rub soap on the edges and see if it goes away, if it does the back tire is not aligned right. They make an alignment tool, but I just found a point with the rear fender and measured the same distance on both sides. Then I moved the belt to the middle, and put the bike on a jack then rolled the tire in the forward direction and you could see the belt work its way one way or another, then I used the did slight adjustments on the rear tire till is stopped. I also got better tire wear doing this.

• 4 weeks later...