IGNORED

'83 Venture R1/R6 brake upgrade: parts list

Happy Spring everyone,

Was thinking about getting rid of the Venture since moving to the mountains. Living 5 miles up a dirt and rock canyon road is pretty harsh on the bike, just sounds like stuff is breaking as I go along. But just took it out yesterday after installing COPs and it's just too much damn fun to get rid of!

So I think I want to do the brake upgrade to thr R1/R6 type. Being super-super extra lazy, can someone give me a parts list of what I'll need? I guess the first thing will be '86 and up 1st Gen lower forks, but what else? I guess de-linking would be worthwhile at the same time. So. Yeah.

Don't forget the MKII rotors. The OEM '83's are fatter than the MKII's. While in there you might as well toss in a set of Progressive springs. I did the conversion on my '83 and never delinked. Afterwards I didn't feel it was necessary,, Edit #2 ... The MKII forks will have electric anti-dives. I just stuffed the wire leads up under the fairing. With the Progressives they weren't needed.

Happy Spring everyone,

Was thinking about getting rid of the Venture since moving to the mountains. Living 5 miles up a dirt and rock canyon road is pretty harsh on the bike, just sounds like stuff is breaking as I go along. But just took it out yesterday after installing COPs and it's just too much damn fun to get rid of!

So I think I want to do the brake upgrade to thr R1/R6 type. Being super-super extra lazy, can someone give me a parts list of what I'll need? I guess the first thing will be '86 and up 1st Gen lower forks, but what else? I guess de-linking would be worthwhile at the same time. So. Yeah.

If (like me) you like the normal concept of "foot = rear", "hand = front" then de-linking makes good sense. I did it when I first bought my '83 several years ago. I'm not so sure that the other various brake upgrades are worth the effort. De-linked brakes with the regular '83 stuff seem to give pretty typical brake performance (compared to other bikes I own).

zag

Another q, I put progressive springs in the '83 forks. Will they be a straight swap into the '86 & up units? Maybe different sized spacers?

I only call it "83" cos that's what it started life as. So many upgrades, adds and facelifts not sure what to call it. Well past the Norma Jean stage; maybe I'll call it Marilyn...:bowdown:

That second pic gives me the Hyena shuttersss, glad you corrected that Flied Lice!!:240:

Glad to hear your keepin the scoot brother, best of the best in gettin sweet Marilyn to stop - hopefully she stops at my house some day :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Another q, I put progressive springs in the '83 forks. Will they be a straight swap into the '86 & up units? Maybe different sized spacers?

I only call it "83" cos that's what it started life as. So many upgrades, adds and facelifts not sure what to call it. Well past the Norma Jean stage; maybe I'll call it Marilyn...:bowdown:

Yep, that's what I did... Same preload and all... Pull 'm out and put 'm in....

Marilyn is a great name. Hard to beat Norma Jean......

Edited by Condor

So. Forks. Discs. Blue dots. Braided lines. Do I need a different front master? And what about the rear caliper?

Some members think it's a good idea, but I stayed with the OEM and didn't have any issues.... I also kept the original lines, but would have swapped them out if I had found something on eBay.... I did find braided lines...twice, but both sets didn't fit. Haven't got a clue what they will fit. The seller gave me a full refund and told me not to bother sending them back. Galfers just wanted too much. Leave the rear brake alone. No need to mess with it other than bleeding and re-padding. It's already a 4 piston.

Okay, jumped in w/both feet. Bought forks, rotors, and calipers. Will tear the front end down when I get home tmro or Woden's Day. Shame I just bought replacement '84 forks last fall because mine wouldn't stop leaking even with new seals all around. Nobody told me old motorcycles could take money to keep em going.

:mo money::crying:

Blue dots are installed, as are the vented discs. Waiting on the forks to get here. Once it's all together do I need to be careful about launching over the handle bars, or dumping it in the street?

Also, I'm thinking about installing ape hangers and a sissy bar, what y'all think?

:rotfl::witch_brew:

ape-hangers.jpg

Blue dots are installed, as are the vented discs. Waiting on the forks to get here. Once it's all together do I need to be careful about launching over the handle bars, or dumping it in the street?

Also, I'm thinking about installing ape hangers and a sissy bar, what y'all think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104444[/ATTACH]

Looks like a pre-formed splat position to me :big-grin-emoticon:

Good one Flied Lice!!:thumbsup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104444[/ATTACH]

Not sure about the ape hangers or sissy bar but the exhaust should definitely exit several feet above your head!

Umm, I need a brake cable, about 40" over-length.......

• 1 month later...
... Leave the rear brake alone. No need to mess with it other than bleeding and re-padding. It's already a 4 piston.

I'm new on here and have not read everything nor am I home where my bike is to check (85VR) but I am sure my rear caliper is single piston?

You're absolutely right, but it's actually two. Nice catch. However, still don't mess with it. It's metered to only apply 30% of the braking power to begin with, and trying to improve braking by changing the rear to a later model 4 piston would be a waste of time and money.. :mo money: