IGNORED

Electrical issue

jburrell

Haven't been around in quite awhile due to family illnesses and actually was more concerned about being home than riding. I won't go into what all has happened because even going through it I can't believe so much happened.

However, having said that I now am wanting to ride some and get away. My 99 RSV set up too long and the battery tender somehow got disconnected so I had to get a new battery. Now while installing it and getting excited about having it running again I accidentally connected it backward. with Kregerdoodles help I was able to locate the main fuse replace it and it was up and running. We'll I got it running so I took it and washed it and when I was finished I took it for a ride and all electrical seemed to work Saw my speed,mileage,turn signals flashing etc. Next morning, I rolled the bike out without starting it and polished ALL THE CHROME, dang that takes awhile. then I decided to ride it and suddenly I had issues. the fuel pump doesn't spin up,the dash doesn't show anything but the high beam. the turn signals keep blowing fuse, I don't have brake lights just running lights and the driving lights don't work nor does the horn. funny thing is the bike starts fine. I know that's a lot and I can try to work 1item at a time but.....has anyone heard of this much happening at once. I could understand if nothing worked after the wash at the car wash but everything worked on the ride after the wash and quit the next day.

ANY IDEAS OUT THERE....?

All ideas and replies appreciated.

Jim

It seems that when you got the battery hooked up correctly and replaced the main fuse, everything was fine. That would suggest that the wash job is the culpret. I would go through ALL the electrical connections and clean them. Put some dielectric grease on each one. This will help water proof them for the future also. Check ALL your fuses and do the same with them. Since the turn signals blow the fuse and the running lights dont work, I would start in the head light and the handle handle bar switch control boxes. If you find the problem don't stop. Continue to clean an lube the entire electrical system to elimenate future problems. Nothing worse than chaseing electrical gremlins. Good Luck!

I would also give a real close look to the ground connections. Ground is the only thing that all of that stuff has in common. Washing it may have taken a marginal ground and once it dried added that little extra corrosion to make it a bad connection. electrical gremlins that hit multiple circuits at the same time are usually ground related.

I seem to remember a post a while back with similar weird combinations of electrical gremlins on seemingly unrelated circuits. It turned out to be a bad ignition bypass relay.

Should be easy to check by unplugging the bypass and reconnecting the original connector. Puts the load back through the switch but will confirm if the bypass is the problem.