IGNORED

86 venture radio and cb antennas

CB antennas are a specific length due to the frequency requirements of am.

You can go to any of the fiberglass wound antennas, but shorter always effects your range adversely. If you go shorter, look for a "top load" type. It will be listed on the package.

Or you can go to a base load antenna like a Wilson 5000 or the old k40. They're pretty short as most of the antenna is wound in the base coil.

Range pretty much sucks on a motorcle for CB anyways (comparatively). No real base plane to speak of for the antenna to work off. A good CB gets out about 14-15 miles on a stock head unit and correct antenna setup. You can push 20 on flat terrain, 25 if you're on top of the only hill in an area.

If you're getting out 4-5 miles on a bike you're doing good....

Edited by Great White

The stock antenna's are too tall for going in and out of my garage, does anyone have any suggestions for shorter antenna's? ideally just shorter masts that will thread into the stock locations.

thanks

The stock antenna folds. Unscrew the chrome knurled sleeve, lift the sleeve and the antenna folds forward.

Edited by Prairiehammer

I just leave the top mast (CB section) in my trunk unless I am going to be using it. Only time I use it is on group rides. I used to fold it, but kept forgetting.
the

Dennis-

Just in case someone else reads this and doesn't understand the risk to your CB unit.....the antenna should be matched using a SWR meter to reduce the amount of frequency return to the CB unit. Once you remove the top, unless you replace it in the proper (same) position, you will change the match and create added stress on the CB which can damage the electronics over time. Feedback occurs during transmission not while receiving.

Dave