IGNORED

Stator crank bolt differences? (stator cooling)

So, I'm sitting here looking at the original crank bolt, the cooling kit crank bolt and a 2nd gen crank bolt.

Both the kit and the 2nd gen both use the little wire "cleaner" (shaft 1 in parts fish), but the kit bolt is drilled int he face and the 2nd gen is drilled on a flat (IE: 90 degree difference).

The kit also has the inside stator plate like the second gen, but it also has a "free floating" plate/deflector at the bolt head end. The 86+ and the 2nd gen do not have this second plate.

Now, this "free floating" plate deflector just doesn't sit right with me. I don't like things just bouncing around freely in a bore (middle of the stator case) around the spinning crank bolt.

I'm thinking of putting the 2nd gen crank bolt in and omit that floating plate. The way I see it, the floating plate/deflector is to change the oil spray direction and they're already done that with the 2nd gen bolt drilling.

Make sense? Or am I right off the glide slope here?

:confused:

Interesting. Mine does not capture....I can push it right down the bore to the crank bolt.

Birth defect maybe.

But if you look at the oil flow pattern in the second picture, it seems a spray hole in the flat of the bolt would achieve the same effect. Probably why the new crank bolt is drilled that way....

Hmmmm I installed this kit on my '83 last year, with both stator plate and cover, drilled bolt and shaft pin, both plates were tightened down secure on assembly, however I was a little ruffled at having a piece of what is essentially high tensile "wire" inside the bolt spinning at Mach 2, anyway after a couple of road trips all appears well.

Edited by Kiwiroyale

Hmmmm I installed this kit on my '83 last year, with both stator plate and cover, drilled bolt and shaft pin, both plates were tightened down secure on assembly, however I was a little ruffled at having a piece of what is essentially high tensile "wire" inside the bolt spinning at Mach 2, anyway after a couple of road trips all appears well.

It's in there to make sure the small passage doesn't coke up and it may perform some sort of restrictor function, although being a restrictor is merely speculation on my part...