IGNORED

Tires for the RSTD

Guest Diggs

I have done some checking and have found the rear tire in a white wall from Avon seems pretty simple, Avon Venom Bias Touring 150/90x15 WWW but the front tire is not so simple... I found an Avon Venom 150/80 HB 16 but does not appear to be available in a WWW. I found an Avon Venom AM41 Bias Touring MT90-16 WWW but I don't know if this is the size I need. I would like a nice set of Avons front and back with factory specs in a wide white wall...Help!

Guest Saddletramp

My apologies. After reading the above post I went looking and Avon does list a www to fit the venture. Your tire dealer could explain the different systems of sizing or even some catalogs will go into detail on this. I have the Metzlers on the bike and will run them at the top edge of of inflation and keep a close eye on them for delamination or other problems. If it happens I'll definetely go to the Avons. From what I see the MT90 is the equivalent to the 130/90 tire. Thats just my interpretation. I'd check with a tire dealer to be certain.

I would like to try a B F Goodrich Radial TA 155/80-R15 on the rear of my RSV. Does anyone know if it will fit? I used to run a car tire on a Valkyrie with no problems and lots of more miles for the money. Oldman

If you don't want white letters on one side there are a few blackwalls out there in 165/80R15 which is the same height as stock. I put the Kumho Powerstar 758 on mine.

More info at http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/start

Metzler does have an upgrade recomendation

this was written up in a past Roadbike issue..also I think they were talking the 880's

Rear OE: 150/90b-15

upgrade 180/70b-15

Front match 150/80-15

I also am getting ready for new tires, am not pleased with the stock Bridgestone Excedra tires, way to slick on wet roads. Also have only got 8000miles out of the rear..front seems ok

You may want to check out this page. The Metzler ME880 'Stage 1' upgrade is a 170/80B15 and it was wide enough that it was rubbing the swingarm and burning when riding.

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002011&id=295&highlight=tire%20upgrade

Guest Saddletramp

I am apprehensive to say the least about the 170 metzler. As I said before they are mounted and on the bike at this point. Clearance between the driveshaft tube and it is approx 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. I have spoken with my dealer and he is aware of the measurement. We, meaning myself and my dealer, will keep a close eye on it and let every one here know what happens once I ride the bike this spring.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 880's on my 05 rstd no problems yet I've got about 11,500 miles on. The ride from original bridgestone's is no comparison. They keep talking about them separating but they my have fixed that by now, hopefully.

• 1 month later...

I just went from ME880's to Avon Venoms on my '05 RSTD, and it rides like a whole different machine now. What a difference. I used to fight this bike at slow speeds...went with the MT90 up front and slow speed steering is INCREDIBLE now. Just did 300 miles on them and they offer a quieter ride on the highway, too.