IGNORED

Radiator fan constantly working

borisz

Hi there,

Playing arond with my new toy (VR13) I discovered that the radiator fan is contantly working. I guess there are a few options to consider. Fan is working because te former owner made it work like this or the sensor is faulty.

Could anyone tell me what the resitance of this sensor is with a cold/warm engine?

The fan switch is just on/off. It should read open cold and closed hot.

As a practical matter the fan shouldn't run much in normal operation. So long as you've got enough speed to ride comfortably there is enough natural airflow that it shouldn't kick on. With the standard temperature switch it doesn't kick on until the gauge reads almost into the red.

There are a bunch of people that think the bike is overheating if the needle gets near the red, so they either hot wire the fan or put it on a manual switch. Both are bad options.

It is normal for the temp gauge to run right at the bottom of the red, at that point the fan should come on and keep it from getting hotter. I would figure out why yours is running all the time and put it back to stock. Stock works just fine.

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a better look after February when I will get a chance to take the VR out for a spin. On march the 1st I finally get the key of my workshop, have to move several bikes around. And last but not least: I'm not allowed to drive the VR before march 1st, due to strange roadtax rules we have here in the Netherlands.