IGNORED

Video Cameras

aharbi

Well, I also watch four grandkids for my three daughters when needed. Take care of the house, mow the yard, do laundry and ride. Didn't mean to make it sound like all I do is ride but I do manage 4-5 days a week. I am fortunate in that my wife does ride on the back. The Venture is really "her" bike. She picked it out for us to ride together, I just steer it :-)

About the SPOT. More and more riders are using them, in fact they have a motorcycle section. From hard core Iron Butt to adventure riders headed to Tierra del Fuego. The Forest/Park services think they provide an unrealistic level of security. Whereby folks are going beyond their training/skill level/equipment knowing they can push a button to summons help, true, but it still may take days to get to them. Anyway, check out the ads at outdoor stores. They run specials from $49 (I wouldn't pay more than $49) to free with a paid subscription. Only get the SPOT Gen3, the original SPOT had problems. Over Christmas they offered me several SPOTS for free which I got for my brothers (they paid for the service). I have the basic plan at $150/year. It suits my needs just fine. If I were headed on an adventure say to Tierra del Fuego I would add GEOS service. They talk about "resetting" tracking with basic service every 24hrs. Don't worry about it. I turn it off at night, saves battery too, on in the morning. When out of cell coverage, I send her a SPOT "OK" message she knows I'm on the road again and at night I send "off road, in hotel for the night".

From my ride yesterday, on the Triumph. Note the SPOT is mounted in a RAM Mount cradle. Have one for the Venture, just haven't installed it yet.

@Larry1963

The free deal was around the holidays. Not sure when they will have another. The $49 price I have seen several times throughout the year and that is what I paid for mine. Just keep your eye open for sales at places like Rei, Cabelas, BassPro, Twisted Throttle, Best Buy, Fry's (where I got mine). I'll shoot you an email if I come across a sale.

Word of caution on the Spot GPS trackers, not the unit but the appearance of shady practices in the subscription side.

I have been looking at getting the Spot Gen 3 as it looks like it would meet my needs for letting my wife know where I am on solo trips. However, on the MEC website (http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-337/spot-spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger-beacon/?q=spot%2B3) I got looking at the reviews and while all seemed to have no fault with the unit, they all mentioned shady billing practices on the subscription side upon renewal. :shock3: Based on this I am now looking for something else.

Here is an example of what I read:

Purchased several years ago and all was well, never had any issues with lost messages, hardware seemed flawless.

Recently my first 2 year contract expired. I was notified that my credit card on file was expired and the service could not be renewed. Fall is a fairly mellow time for me and I figured I'd just let the service lapse and pick it up again in the winter when I needed it.

A month later, I spotted a $600 CAD charge on my credit card bill. SPOT had generated a new date of expiry and CVV for my expired, on file credit card (my new card has the same number so this is doable) and billed me for another two years, this time with all the expensive service extras and without any warning or my consent. When I called to dispute it and ask how they got my new credit card info without asking, they said it was their right, I had been emailed a renewal notification (I was not) and that if I initiated a chargeback on my credit card they would send collections after me. After much spirited discussion, including being reminded that this was credit card fraud, they allowed me to terminate my service for a refund.

Needless to say, I will not be dealing with them again. If you choose to use the SPOT service, I highly recommend checking your statements, particularly around renewal time, as they seem to see no issue with playing fast and loose with your credit cards or attempting to slip exorbitant charges past their customers.