just need some piece of mind or there is a problem. i live in n.j. and i've been riding finally, temps have been in the 30"s & 40"S but it seems to take the bike a long time to warm up before i can go. if it doesn't it stalls....is this the norm? only have 300 miles on the bike.....

thanks for any feed back, bob

It is not normal for me. I ride year round, so have fired it up many a morning below 40 degrees. It does take some choke, although I rarely pull it all the way on; once it fires (quickly), I just set the choke for about a 1200 RPM idle, and it is ready to go by the time I have my helmet and gloves on. My 07 is a tad more cold blooded than the 05 - always needs a little choke if temps are below 70, but not much. Never have to leave the choke on for more than a minute or two on either bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest BluesLover

My 06 just needs a few seconds of choke and then runs without any danger of stalling - I'm in Southern Ontario, and the bike is kept in my unheated garage.

Cheers,

I rode my '06 most every day this winter. Starting temps were as low as 12*F. Only once did it crank a little slowly. Use the choke. Some folks seem to think that it is wrong to use the choke. When it's cold, use the choke -- that's why it's there. If you're still having problems, then I would consider it unusual -- not the normal behavior of the RSV.

My 07 behaves the same. I start it when it is around 40-50 degrees with a full choke. I run it for about 15-30 seconds and push it in to about half way. After about a 1-2 minutes I push it in about another quarter of the way and then take off. I leave it at that setting for about 15-20 minutes then push it in all the way in and it runs. To me it did not seem odd since my 2006 800 Drifter behaves the same way. I have around 300 miles on my RSV also. Maybe they are just not broken in enough yet. I will mention this to my dealer when I bring it in for the 600 mile checkup. Maybe the idle is not set high enough. Or the carbs are not sync'd. Or it just could be the way it will behaves. And since I do not have any chirping the bike is a keeper.

Classicride

2006 800 Drifter

2007 RSV blu/blk

Leave it choked for the first 10 minutes of riding or so. If its choked right you so be able to start it right up and ride off after only a minute or so. May take some practice to get the choke where you want it the first few times.

thanks everyone,i know i don't leave the choke out long enough so hopfully that's it, if not then at 600miles i'll get it check. also about the 600 mile check up how important is that. i've talk to some and they say it's not that important, just asking.

thanks,bob

thanks everyone,i know i don't leave the choke out long enough so hopfully that's it, if not then at 600miles i'll get it check. also about the 600 mile check up how important is that. i've talk to some and they say it's not that important, just asking.

thanks,bob

Yeah, I would say Choke it to start then halfway to take off. By the time I get 1 mile away I turn it off and she runs fine. I'm sure that's your problem.

Regarding the 600 mi checkup, I'm sure others will disagree, but I pretty much follow the manual on service. I figure there is a reason they call for those service intervals. Some might say its to make $$ from Service and that might be true. My Dealer's very experienced mechanic feels the 1st one is one of the MOST important.:no-no-no: They usually adjust valvles, synch carbs, change oil, etc. I know the 3 new bikes I have had have always come back from that service running much better. :biker:

Again these are just my opinions.:whistling:

:thumbsup:

thanks,bob

Once it's warmed up how does it idle? Is it running smooth or does it seem off?

Like mentioned above your idle might just need to be turned up and that's easy to do.

On the right side of the bike just under the tank is a knob. That is the idle adjust, clockwise increases rpm.

BTW I don't think it's really a choke but more of an enricher. I don't think it actually chokes the air into the bike, but just adds more fuel so you don't have to hold the throttle. I'm pretty sure there are no butterfly valves like on most carbs. Of course I could be way off base here too. If I am, I have no doubt I will be corrected.

Once it's warmed up how does it idle? Is it running smooth or does it seem off?

Like mentioned above your idle might just need to be turned up and that's easy to do.

On the right side of the bike just under the tank is a knob. That is the idle adjust, clockwise increases rpm.

BTW I don't think it's really a choke but more of an enricher. I don't think it actually chokes the air into the bike, but just adds more fuel so you don't have to hold the throttle. I'm pretty sure there are no butterfly valves like on most carbs. Of course I could be way off base here too. If I am, I have no doubt I will be corrected.

You are correct on the function of the "starting knob." I personally use the term "choke" in a generic way, especially since that is understood by everyone.

Interesting to note that even Yamahaha calls their official chrome accessory for this a "Billet Choke Knob Cover."

Goose