IGNORED

E2 Class error-help!

Gday from NZ ('83 Royale, 35000 mls)

Firstly I am not a mechanic!!!!

Prior to partially disassembling my machine the Class System was operating fine, albeit with the odd double tapping of the buttons to get to the setting I wanted.

Ok, I removed the whole fairing, seat, pods etc.

I will give a picture of what I did:

I then removed forks for new seals, removed speedo housing to grease "howling" bearing via a great wee invention I found on here, I then removed the completely burnt out stator and replaced it with a Ricks, I also added the "oil cooler" kit, at the moment I am still using then spade connector from the stator (I will in due course hard wire these together).

I then dissasembled the Dessicant container and freshened up the Dessicant, any electrical connectors we're reconnected.

Moving forward... Battery fully charged and reading around 12.94 volts resting.

NOTE: When I was screwing the battery terminals up, I inadvertently touched the Allen wrench onto the handle bar, creating a display that you guys may only see at Disneyland!!!!! Not cool, after the Sparks had died down , I came away with only a SIGNAL fuse blown in its cradle holder, I checked every other fuse I could find.

I did have a negative terminal wire directly off the battery that I could not remember where the other end went, it is made up of two strand wires into holed spade type connectors at each end, it is very short 100mm ish, anyway I attached it to a bolt that went into the frame nearby the Class control box, could this be the problem?

When I turn the key on to Acc the class control box lights up with ALL of the wording showing!!!! If I look close the wording "pulses", not good me thinks?

When key taken all the way to the "on" position the odo lights up as it should and performs "warning" checks, bike fires up fine and all signals lights etc operate normally.

I have 12.94 volts through, and out of the large connector under the seat, also through the connector into the compressor motor.

I tested the compressor motor direct from a 12volt motorcycle battery and it runs fine, I can hear a clicking sound from one of the three cylindrical devices connected to what I guess is an air dam arrangement (sorry I don't have my manual with me for the correct terminology), the wiring to these appears ok, INCIDENTALLY i removed these to check and apart from air escaping under low pressure from the middle one there was an oily residue in each of the ports they were attached to, NORMAL???

OH and I have opened up the control box, the four solder joints have been previously done I noticed, they seem tight, I gently cleaned the board and connectors with an electrical spray etc...

Apologies for the length of this I am trying to eliminate any questions you may ask.

Help would be greatly appreciated, as I really just want to ride her now!!!!!

Steve

There are more than four solder joints. I'm not sure exactly what you opened or looked at.........

The controller is in the right fairing top, part of the lid that covers the coolant overflow tank. There is a white socket on back that has 6 or 8 terminals. That connector is soldered directly to the board and those are the joints that cause problems. Probably you moved them around in your tear down and assembly.

Pull the controller apart and re-flow the solder where the socket connects to the board.