IGNORED

Slow Clutch Fluid Leak On 88'

Chaplain Dusty

My money is on the slave, the bleeder for it is under that little rubber cover in front of the forward bevel gear - down by your left foot if your sitting on it Chaplain.. That slave cylinder has a seal on its back side that is known to seep with age.. Maybe just pop that rubber cover and take a peek with a flashlight and see what ya see in there.. For the life of me I cant remember if its possible or probable that the slave can leak internally into the case,, :think:,, if so it's possible for it to leak and never show dampness externally.. Hopefully one of these very wise 1st Gen varmints will notice this and chime in:fingers-crossed-emo

Not a hard job to swap out,, IMHO the worst part is getting the air out of the system so the clutch works perfect again but even that is not that bad brother!:thumbsup:

I am in the process of that fix now on my 86. My clutch became very spongy while we were riding through St Louis last year. I don't like that feeling of no clutch on a 800 lb bike. I ordered a new slave last week. It came in a few days so I put it in. Let me tell you to get the old slave out you have to hold your lips just right. That thing has about the width of a hair to slide down and out. I'm waiting for the clutch master rebuild to come now. I suppose its possible for the fluid to seep into the clutch activating rod cavity, following it and end up into the motor if the seals are bad there. The slave has a rubber boot on the engine side that could act as a seal when tightend, so the oil wouldn't leak on the outside. If so I would be changing the engine oil also, being the cluth fluid is brake fluid. When you remove that slave throw the phillp screws away and replace them with allen head screws. Easier for the next replacement. :2cents:

Thanks Alan for the info. Sounds like a need to hop on it. Where did you find the slave replacement? :think:

The "Nation" shows this = http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1fk-16381-11-00/push-lever-comp for a replacement.. Kinda got me :think: cause it also show's that this is the exact replacement for ALL 1200 and 1300cc V-4's - didnt know that the same clutch slaves were used all the way up... Maybe some much wiser varmints than I can verify this :witch_brew: Best to find out (maybe call a Yam shop) before ordering one brother!!

• 2 weeks later...